Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bespoke transaction codes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

I have about 3000 bespoke transaction codes in the system I am working on covering MM, SD, WM, FICO, PP, HR

I am to trying to find out IF all these transactions are actually being used and by WHO but I am not sure how to do this.

I need this information as I am rebuilding all the roles in the system from scratch, so that we have a few big roles instead of loads of little roles, this has to be done as most users have too much access and we want to bring the system into Audit compliance and make the roles/authorizations easier to maintain

So can anyone advise me please

Thank you

Kind Regards

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are doing the correct thing. That you have 3k Z-tcodes most likely means that the Z-programs are being run from dedicated tcodes for them, so you probably have a big advantage in this case. It is at least a good omen..

Low-hanging-fruit way: In ST03N you will see the "Standard Transaction Profile" data for the past 3 months (default size) and can see which tcode was used how often. You will also see which reports are running in which jobs. --> build roles for them or actually idea is to already have roles for the job functions and add the tcodes to the existing roles (very often you discover here that you need to add some authority-checks to the bespoke coding...  🙂

Rolls-Royce way: clear the loaded program memory and then monitor for a period of time to see which programs compile again because tcodes are executing them, others are submitting or including them or calling routines within them. Anything which does not compile after sufficient time has passed can be added to the list of coding to be deactivated. That which is used can then be split into roles for groups of users via the above ST03N data collected during that time.

Cheers,

Julius

11 REPLIES 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are doing the correct thing. That you have 3k Z-tcodes most likely means that the Z-programs are being run from dedicated tcodes for them, so you probably have a big advantage in this case. It is at least a good omen..

Low-hanging-fruit way: In ST03N you will see the "Standard Transaction Profile" data for the past 3 months (default size) and can see which tcode was used how often. You will also see which reports are running in which jobs. --> build roles for them or actually idea is to already have roles for the job functions and add the tcodes to the existing roles (very often you discover here that you need to add some authority-checks to the bespoke coding...  🙂

Rolls-Royce way: clear the loaded program memory and then monitor for a period of time to see which programs compile again because tcodes are executing them, others are submitting or including them or calling routines within them. Anything which does not compile after sufficient time has passed can be added to the list of coding to be deactivated. That which is used can then be split into roles for groups of users via the above ST03N data collected during that time.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Julius von dem Bussche wrote:

Cheers,

Julius

That deserves more than a like, it's a fantastic idea

0 Kudos

Hi Julius

Is this the correct way to find out WHO is using WHAT transactions:-

1) ST03N

2) Expert Mode

3) Under "Month" choose this month

4) Under "Transaction Profile" I choose "Standard"

5) Then double click "Standard"

in the column "Report or Transaction Time" this is the list of TCodes accessed in "This Month"

in the column "Name of Background Job" this gives me a list of reports being used/accessed

Is this correct???

Thank you

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos

Not quite. That just tells you whether the user ran it in the foreground or the background (in this case it has a job name).

What you are looking for is the User Profile reporting, in the USer Settlement Statistics folder.

Alternately in the Transaction Profile report, you can double-click the Tcode / Report column and it will give you the users and their "settlement" data.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Lol, thanks for the points Mark, but Julius suggested the correct answer, I just liked it - you might want to edit that if you can

0 Kudos

I hope that editing is not possible and you owe me a beer (is more usefull than ponits 😉

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Yes, but I owe you a few beers already - you had better eat a big meal before we next meet

0 Kudos

Hi Julius

OK I have run ST03N and I have a list of TCodes that were have been access in the last 4 weeks, which is good.

Now I need to know HOW to find out which of these TCodes each user has accessed, so that then I can plan to build new roles depending on what TCodes they have accessed over the last 4 weeks so can you tell me how to do this please......step by step

Thank you

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos

Hi Julius

You mentioned a "Rolls Royce" way of finding users and what TCodes they have used, so could you tell me HOW to do this please, step by step

I have used ST03N so far but I want to double check

Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julius

As I am limited on time I feel the best way to go is to user your "low hanging fruit way". To use the "Rolls Royce" was would not leave me enought time to build and test the new roles before go live. I would like to than you very much for giving me both methods. I like it

Kind Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julius

Once I have the report on the users as a whole is there are report I can run for each user so that I can see what TCodes each user has access/used in the last 3 months? If so how do I do this.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Mark