cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows/Oracle to Linux/Oracle/VM-Ware

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello There,

I am wondering if anyone can share thier expreinces in Migrating the Oracle database from Windows to Linux (On VM-Ware), and we talking about 2TB to 3TB database. What should be looking for this type of migrations? Any suggestions or advise much appreicated.

Thanks,

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kumar,

there is a simple and in most cases much faster approach called "Transportable Database" as the endianness does not change from Windows to Linux. The speed limit is only your I/O subsystem.

I have written a blog about that procedure long time ago (for HP-UX to AIX), but i have performed this procedure for Windows to Linux several times as well.

Blog: [Oracle] Migrating SAP systems on Oracle with less effort

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your kind responses. Here is my database endiness:

What type of Support SAP Provides? Are they any impact on choosing this path vs Trandtional R3Load export/import?

7 Microsoft Windows IA (32-bit) Little

10 Linux IA (32-bit) Little

5 HP Tru64 UNIX Little

11 Linux IA (64-bit) Little

15 HP Open VMS Little

8 Microsoft Windows IA (64-bit) Little

13 Linux x86 64-bit Little

12 Microsoft Windows x86 64-bit Little

17 Solaris Operating System (x86) Little

19 HP IA Open VMS Little

20 Solaris Operating System (x86-64) Little

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

if your source DB is not yet compressed, you might like to get compression as

a benefitial part of the migration with R3load. With the other method you will get a more or less

1:1 clone of your DB. This will usually be finished quicker, but if your migration timeframe

is large enough, you might like to get compression in addition.

Volker

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

well transportable tablespaces are supported by the BR*Tools (check sapnote #1035051 for details) and the transportable database is only an enhancement of this feature and also described in sapnote #1367451.

Go for it ... it rocks

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

It will be a heterogeneous system migration. Plenty of info on this available.

Take a look at this for virtualization guidelines since it will go on vmware: Note 1492000 - General Support Statement for Virtual Environments

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Kumar,

As you are migrating on Vmware make sure you have implemented all the recommendations as per

SAP Note 1122388 - Linux: VMware vSphere configuration guidelines. Most of the recommendations for Vmware team.

This will be a heterogeneous system copy.

To reduce the time you can use Migration package splitting technique.

Plan to do it on Staging server first and repeat it 2-3 times to reduce the downtime.

Regards,

Sahil