cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subcontracting process.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Please share your thoughts on the subcontracting process model for the following scenrio.

We have a simple BOM structure having one header +2 components. Components are sourced from respective suppliers. We dont manufacturing products internally and everything is procured externally. Finally procured components are send to the subcontractor for final packaging who charges nominal amount for the services rendered. The subcontractor eventually delivers the FG to the distribution center. Just to provide additional information, Demand is generated at distribution center for FG +components. Distribution center invokes a Preq on the subcontractor for the demands generated.

Components should pass through a virtual location for operational visibility which means DC>>Virtual location>>Vendor in the subcon process.

Questions?

Is it manadatory to maintain prodution version for the above suncontracting scenario where everything is procured externally? If yes, In which location it should be maintained?

Can components pass through a virtual location or Only 1-1 relation between source and destination?

Note: Subcontracting vendor does only packaging job but tangible FG exist with subcontractor until it delivers to DC.

Please suggest some inputs on how to model this subcontracting process.

Lakshmi.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

syed_hassan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Lakshmi,

Have you ciffed subcontrating info-record? You need to send this before you send the PDS. Also remember that a subcontracting info-record should be created for the FGI product with production version assigned to it.

Can you share your data model because I think it may be that you are missing thing or two as I mentioned, above.

Hope this helps.

Najam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Syed,

Thanks so much for pitching in to help me, your help is much appreciated.

I did send suncontracting info record to R/3 with prod version attached to it prior to PDS Cif. I could able to find TL being created from DC to vendor with PIR number attached to it. The same can be found in PDS_Maint transaction in R/3. Porduction version is assigned to the header material and same can be found in mm02 screen. Attached is the snapshot for your review.

But unable to CIF PDS, when try to CIF from curto_create with change transfer active flag it says " No transfer relevant data found". without chnage transfer flag it says" No integration odel active for material, Plant, Production version". But the message is misleading we have IM model active for the PDS. it is frustating why PDS not getting cifed. Please share your experiences on how to fix this.

Lakshmi.

former_member197994
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

Have you assigned the PV to your PIR?

Best regards,

Tiemin

Message was edited by: Tiemin Wang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

The screenshot of your integration models shows one problem.  The plant entry WDC acts as a filter on your data set.  The subcontracting PDS is supposed to be in the vendor location but the IM narrows the data to distribution center related data.

Separate the subcontracting PDS into it's own model.  Transfer plants and materials first then the subcontracting PDS.

Best Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Tiemin,

Thanks a million, I missed the setting. PDS successfully created now.

Shall update you on the heuristic planning run and results, dependent demand for components.

Lakshmi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your advice. Now it created at vendor location, PDS sucessfully flown.

Lakshmi.

syed_hassan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Guys,

To help Lakshmi out I tried to send PDS and now I am getting the error.

"Vendor Not found for material "COMPONENT1" Plant "PLNT1" production version 0001.

Do you know if I have to extend component to vendor location before I send PDS. Because when you send PDS, it extends material "FGI' to vendor location.

regards,

Najam

former_member197994
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Najam,

If I remember well, It should be created auto. But if you're using Location of type Subcontractor, it has to be done manually.

Generally as the question has been marked "answered", it'd be much better if you open a new discussion as experts may not look through it again.

Best regards,

Tiemin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin,

Although the subcontracting scenario is mapped and dependent demand got generated at vendor place. There is a subset to this process is still to be configured and pending. As explained in the initial post, components are procured from diferrent vendors than that of subcontractor. All the procured components from respective vendors would be palced at subcontracting location to make up the finished product or final BOM. But after the multilevel heuristic run FG+ components shows being sourced from single vendor that is subcontractor. The reason for this behaviour could be PDS is placed vendor location hence it is taking source as subcontractor only, But components should be sourced from diffrent vendor and finally place at subcontractor location for final BOM build up. Please suggest how to model this scenario.

Lakshmi.

syed_hassan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Tiemin,

Thanks for the reply. Upon further investigation, I found that the problem is with material type I was using which is causing component product not being extended to Vendor location.

regards,

Najam

syed_hassan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Lakshmi,

This seems like a  third part provisioning scenario within subcontracting.

check out this link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_SCM700_ehp02/helpdata/en/34/8ede53ef0dbc4dbce5346cd79c1fae/frameset.htm

regards,

Najam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Najam,

I have gone thorugh the link my times but the misisng link here is why subcontracting PIR is ignored for components. in the subcontracting planing book source is taken as subcontractor which is wrong. for components source is a different vendor.

Lakshmi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin/mark,

Any idea on the above, your quick reply is much appreciated.

Lakshmi.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member197994
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

I think you have a follow-up question but I can't spot it here, could you please post it again?

Best regards,

Tiemin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin,

Although the subcontracting scenario is mapped and dependent demand got generated at vendor place. There is a subset to this process is still to be configured and pending. As explained in the initial post, components are procured from diferrent vendors than that of subcontractor. All the procured components from respective vendors would be palced at subcontracting location to make up the finished product or final BOM. But after the multilevel heuristic run FG+ components shows being sourced from single vendor that is subcontractor. The reason for this behaviour could be PDS is placed vendor location hence it is taking source as subcontractor only, But components should be sourced from diffrent vendor and finally place at subcontractor location for final BOM build up. Please suggest how to model this scenario.

Lakshmi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Tiemin,

Please let me know if you could able to see the follow up question.

Lakshmi.

former_member197994
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

I can see it now. I'm checking...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin,

Components should not be sourced from subcontractor infact components will be send to the subcontractor for repackaging to make the final BOM after being sourced from diffrent vendors.

Now after the multilevel Heuristic run dependent demand is generated at subcontractor which is fine but it is creating purchase Req on the regular vendor. There exists Subcontrcting PIR for components with system created TL for components. But those are ignored by the Heristic run.

Hope this would elaborate system behaviour.

Lakshmi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin,

Read it as not creating PR on the regular vendor.

Lakshmi.

former_member197994
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

Please have a look at the "Subcontracting with Third-Party Provision of Components in PP/DS" part of online help:

·        A purchasing info record of type subcontracting that documents the subcontractor as the source of supply for the end product;
The production version stored in the material master must be specified in the info record. From the production version, the system recognizes the vendor location in which the PPM must be created in SAP APO.

·        A purchasing info record of the category standard in each case, documenting the supplier as the source of supply of the components

I think it's not mentioned in SNP part that two kinds of PIR are necessary.

Best regards,

Tiemin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin,

I have gone through the link and maintained relevant settings for the component PIR. still no luck.

There seems to be a missing link to source component supply, Please suggesta work around .

Lakshmi,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin,

Not sure if you had tested this in the past, this is just not happening.

Lakshmi.

former_member197994
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

In R/3, what's the difference between a plant and DC? I need this information so that I can check further.

Best regards,

Tiemin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin,

• A plant has its own material master data. You can maintain data at plant level for the following views on a material master record in particular: MRP, Purchasing, Storage, Work scheduling, Production resources/tools, Forecasting, Quality management, Sales, Costing.
  • DC:It describes the whole process from planning the requirements to receiving the goods in the store or distribution center, retailing.

Lakshmi.

former_member197994
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

All the supported scenario are listed under http://help.sap.com/saphelp_SCM700_ehp02/helpdata/en/34/8ede53ef0dbc4dbce5346cd79c1fae/frameset.htm

You can check the illustration there to find out how to map your scenario.

These processes are well established and require no virtual location between plant/DC and subcontractor.

Production version is necessary, you can maintain it in plant/DC.

Best regards,

Tiemin

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Tiemin,

Thanks so much for you reply. I have gone thorugh the link many a times but some questions remain unanswered. Please clarify on below points?

In our case we supply components to the subcontractor who inturn package everything and send the final product back to DC. Is it neccessary to extend the BOM to subcontractor location for BOM explosion to trigger?

Please keep in mind, We dont have manufacturing plant in our SCM network where production version can be created.

Would it be OK to create a Production version at DC? We are cifing BOm from R/3 system. Would BOM explosion trigger at DC and dependent demand on subcontractor .

Thanks so much for your help.

Lakshmi.

former_member197994
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

In R/3, what's the difference between a plant and DC? Do you have any error when creating PV in DC?

You need not pay much attention to PV as it's more of something technical to ensure PDS transfer.

Please try the steps there and tell me your findings.

Best regards,

Tiemin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin,

Thanks so much. We have  BOMs available in R/3. I created production version at Distribution center for the header material and ensured that production version is turnned to green colour. I have created new IM for the PDS and tried to CIF , It does pick up the PDS but tranfer is not happening to APO. I tried to transfer PDS as SNP subcontracting PDS, No luck. PDS is not visible in APO. I tried to CIF using CURTO_CREATE too it says " No transfer relevant data available".

Am i missing anything here? Please help.

Lakshmi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiemin,

Any idea why PDS is not getting transfered?

Lakshmi