cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off-Line Solution with MII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi masters, please could you help me ?

The need: The production process should not stop working if the plant network fail.

Which kind of solution do you suggest to be architected to this scenario ?

This is the solution in my mind, so I am looking for your opinion about this solution or new ideas with other better solutions

* Develop one or several SAP MII BLS transaction that will generate XML files with the production orders data and distribute this XML files inside the local harddisks of the workstations (network dependency).

* Develop a java based aplication with the UI that will do (always offline):
1. Read the XML files in the local harddisk with the production orders data
2. Process the production orders
3. Generate and store in the local hard disk the new XML files with the production order results

* Develop one or several SAP MII BLS transaction that will read the XML files with the production order results (network dependency).

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michel,

As mentioned by Hari and Manoj, even I would recommend using relational databased instead of XML files because of ease maintenance and also to avoid performance issues. This is one of the main uses of MII to run production even when not connected to source or destination system always.

Things to keep in mind are:

1) Store all master data in MII Database to use to for production during downtime.

2) Mechanism to archieve old transactional data.

3) Mechanism to identify processed records and unprocessed records. Eg., when there is a network downtime, you store and flag the records as unprocessed locally within MII and once network is back online you process them to forward it to respective system say SAP and flag these records as processed.

It is not possible to automate everything in some complex custom scenarios However you can surely get close to automation in most of the standard production scenarios.

As to which front end technology should be used - MII comes with native .IRPT pages which are HTML pages with additional syntax which is rendered only with .irpt pages and simple javascript. However it shouldn't stop you from developing front end UI in JSPs or ASPs. It is customer's call, but I would say to stay within SAPs umbrella as much as possible.

Sandy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michel,

One suggestion you can store production data into database than maintain it and once plant network is up you can upload data to repective systems.

Hope it help!!

Thanks & Regards,

Manoj Bilthare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Manoj.

Any other suggestion ?

former_member185280
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have been involved in a few ROI guestimations around building the kind of redundancy you are proposing. Of course all situations are unique and yours may be different. When looking at the real risk of a local plant network outage we typically found that this is incredibly rare and would almost alway be limited in duration unless the cause was severe enough to likely stop production anyway (plant wide power outage, natural disaster, employee action etc..). We typically found pen and paper to be the most cost effective solution to this requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian, thank you for your answer.

I think like you, but my customer does not. They have another system that is working like this for more than 10 years, now they want a new solution but working like that old solution.

HariCS23
Contributor
0 Kudos

Michel,

If you are obliged to find a solution ...you would be better off storing the data in local databases in each work station if you want a robust and manageable solution.If the cost is the constraint,you can use MySQL Database.

I would imagine,you have to limit functionality of your MES system very severely in many levels since data is not connected  and you also need to plan very tight integration to your online DB to propagate changes once your network is alive.

Thanks

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Hari Gunda

Storing the data in local databases is a good solution, better than user XML files... I will use these two ideas depending of the system requirements and the workstations configurations.

And about the local user interface, which technology do you suggest to be used ?

HariCS23
Contributor
0 Kudos

Michel, You can use PHP. there are some light weight and open web servers like may be  Apache to control the cost.

Thanks

Hari