Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printers to be configured

former_member829550
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

In the production system i can see 40 printers in the output device option.

I want the same information to be displayed in my new solution manager.

In simple words, how can I configure those 40 printers in my solution manager. Is there anyway that i can do it in one single shot (like creating a transport request or maintaining a parameter or any other setting) or do i need to do for each and every printer separately.

I heard about the PAL method but the PAL tcode doesnt work in my system. so, how to configure all those printers at one shot or is there any other method to do it?

br,

mb

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member215961
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi bhupesh,

If you have a new system at same release in your network and need to set up all of the printers (output devices) you have in your other landscape, you can transfer them in seconds!

Instead of creating a transport with all the printers, simply export them to a text file and import them in your new systems.

To EXPORT all output devices:

1. Run transaction SPAD.
2. Select Utilities -> for output devices -> Export devices.
3. Enter a filename.
4. Choose Frontend computer under File sytem info.
4. Choose Export under Operation.
5. Check Execute export under Options.
6. Enter * in Output Device under Objects for export.
7. Click Execute.

To IMPORT all output devices:

1. Repeat the steps above but choose Import and Execute import under Operation and Options respectively.

Cheers

former_member829550
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

thanks for the prompt reply.

Even I had the same options in mind and implemented them. I can see the printer information in solman.

But there is another thing which is troubling me.

There are 273 users in Production and 264 in Solman.

I want to assign the exact copy of printer information from Prd to Solman.

What I mean to say is if a user A has printer1 to his name then the same user should be assigned with the same printer information in solman also.

Is there anyway, that I can do it in one single shot (like transports or parameter settings or any other user settings) with which I can get the same user-printer combination in solman just like what I see in production.

Manually assigning the printers to 264 users is a tedious job. So, I'm looking for a faster method.

br,

bhupesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can create Ecatt script for the same.

former_member829550
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I am working on windows environment.

Can you tell the details steps.

br,

bhupesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please use below document for reference and create your own script:

http://www.sapsecurityexpert.com/2011/07/create-mass-users-using-ecatt-scripts/

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member829550
Active Participant
0 Kudos

thanks all, my problem got solved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So what did you do finally?

former_member829550
Active Participant
0 Kudos

a) Actually, I looked for the PAL concept but unfortunately the PAL tcode was not working.

So, we left the PAL solution.

b) There were about 300 users with 50 different printers. Some were remote, some were local and others were of different locations in the same landscape.

At first we tried to find a solution by which all printers in solman should be the exact copy of prd. But, it looked like a mountainous task as we were not sure about the remote printers information (precise info). So, we assigned those printers manually looking at the exact copy of prd into solman.

As the printers information were already present in the system. It was a matter of assigning them to the specific users and that has been achieved using the su01 tcode. su01--> defaults ---> select the printer and save.

Though it took one hour of work but it was a safe side without any confusion.

thats it...

br,

bhupesh

Former Member
0 Kudos