cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File to File Transfer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have multiple interfaces where i just need to pick files from FTP/SAP system and send it to SAP/FTP system. So, its just a file to file transfer interface.

So i wanted to know that can we avoid PI in this? ECC will create a program to pick and send files directly from/to FTP server without PI?

Regards

Vasant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vasant,

>> So i wanted to know that can we avoid PI in this? ECC will create a program to pick and send files directly from/to FTP server without PI?

If there is no transformation,mapping,validation & don't want to monitor the message.Yes you can avoid PI and directly with the help of custom program you can send /receive file from the ECC

Cheers

Agasthuri

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

anupam_ghosh2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasant,

You can  use scripts/ batch files to fetch file from 3rd party server into target ECC system. In ECC system you need to schedule the time of running of the scripts each day. This does not need use of SAP-PI. How you write these scripts depend on the Operating system of the ECC system. If its unix/linus system you can look into this article  http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_ftp.htm   . If the operating system is windows based you can try this link http://www.nsftools.com/tips/MSFTP.htm 

Regards

Anupam

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasant,

As Raj says, this scenario it's very easy to do. At first you don't need to do anything in the ESR, you only need to work with the Integration directory. You can do in this way:

1. Create one business component (for sender and receiver sides) or two business components (one for the sender and the other for  the receiver.

2. Sender & Receiver communication components (business components)

2.1 Inside the business component create a dummy service interface. This means that the interface dont need to exists in the ESR, you type the name manually, and yes, it will works in this way. (If you are in the sender side, go to the sender tab and if you are configuring the receiver, go to the receiver tab).

2.2 Create the corresponding communication channel. (If you are in the sender side, go to the sender tab and if you are configuring the receiver, go to the receiver tab).

3. Finally you can finish your configuration with the integrated configuration object (if you are in SAP PI 7.1 and above) or you can do the SA, RD, ID and RA objects.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My question is it a best practice to avoid PI in these kind of file mover interfaces? ECC can itself send/receive files directly using FTP protocol.

Regards!!

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasant,

In ECC you can execute the ftp command from the Operative System or to use a standard abap functions.

Check this wiki http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Snippets/ABAP+solution+to+implement+FTP+transactions to implement a FTP in ABAP.

In my opinion if you have available a PI, you should to use it for this kind of scenario.

Regards.

Message was edited by: Iñaki Vila

phanikumar_akella
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Vasant

This is not a best practise. Most of the clients prefer to pass on all there messages through SAP PI. Either it is simple file to file (pick and drop) scenario or complex BPM, better to pass it through SAP PI. It will be easy and good practise to monitor all the interfaces under one umbrella i.e SAP PI.

naveen_chichili
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasanth,

case1:

if you does not have any validations/Mappings to be performed then you can directly send the file with the help of custom program you can send /receive file from the ECC.

or

you can configure scripts or batch files to transfer the file  source to your target ECC system.

case 2:

If you have any validations to be done then you can pass the file through PI and perform the necessary validations.

Regards,

Naveen.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

either way possible.

If you want to use PI then create ID objects and enter service interface / name space details dummy , it works.

search in scn there are discusions on similar req.