Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check database structure: Execution on test server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

We have 2 ERP systems running with Max DB 7.7

We run weekly check database structure job for productive ERP system.

Because the job runs ca. 9 hours and users criticise the performance, we have following question:

Is there some option to run this job outside the productive server, e.g. on test server?

If yes what is the procedure?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

It is not recommended to run CHECK DATA on a produciton environment with high workload.

Therefore SAP recommend to do this check during times of low workload - or to run

the check on a system copy.

More information refer to the Wiki page:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/MaxDB/Check+database+structure

SAP Note:  727099 - Using database structure checks (Verify)

Question 18 of SAP Note: 940420 (FAQ: Database structure check) documented the possibilities to accelerate the running time of the Check Data.

Thanks,

Yashwanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Can I execute the CheckTables for productive database on Test Server, where I already run my test sap system by restoring the productive database from the last backup with Database Manager?

0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

Yes, you can run the database structure check once every week on your test sap system by restoring with a current backup from production.

Also if possible upgrade the MaxDB to verison 7.8.02.30 or higher. As of this database version, the Read Ahead (Prefetch) is also used during the database structure check - which optimizes the performance of the CHECK DATA

I hope this is clear. If you have any more questions let me know.

Regards,

Yashwanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Many thanks!

Could you please describe the steps necessary for the restoring option of current productive backup and execution of database structure check?

Within Database Manager I can currently see 2 DB instances:

my local DB of Test system (<sid>)

DB of productive system (productive server: <sid>)

Can I add or create a third instance (productive server: <sid>_shadow) and then each week initialize this instance with current/last backup and then execute the database structure check?

Thank you!    

0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

You are welcome.

Please refer to SAP Note: 1014782 - FAQ -MaxDB system copy - This note will have answers to most of the questions customers have during the system copy.

How to perform database structure check ? - Please refer to Note: 940420 (FAQ: Database structure check)

The following sections (21,22 & 23) of the Note should answer your question.

21. How do I start the database structure check using the Database
    Manager graphical user interface (GUI)?

22. How do I start the database structure check with the Database
    Studio?

23. How do I start the database structure check using the Database
    Manager command line interface (CLI)?

Thanks,

Yashwanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I have still some questions about the procedure.

Why do I need a system copy?

Let's assume I have a valid backup of my productive system.

Is it possible to import this backup with Database Manager on the test server and then execute the database structure check?

I do not plan to start SAP system with this backup on test server, just to execute the database structure check.

0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

If I understood you correct, you are talking about backup/restore of your production to your test environment correct.

You use backup and recovery method to perform a homogeneous system copy of a MaxDB database instance.

But the target system (your test system) should have the same byte swapping as your production and the version of target database (test system) must be either same or higher than the version of your production database.

Hope this is clear.

Regards,

yashwanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Is it possible to have on test server a DB instance of productive system created from last backup independent from a really existing ERP productive system?

I do not plan to make system copy, because I do not plan to use on test server the productive ERP system.

The only purpose of this new DB instance on test server is only the regular/weekly execution of database structure check.

thorsten_zielke
Contributor
0 Kudos

Short answer: yes.

Just take a full data backup from production and apply this to any other MaxDB instance (no SAP ERP or other application install required). That way, you would know, if the backup were corrupt. Then perform a 'check data', because it does additional checks compared to backup/recovery.

But keep in mind that recovering log backups is pointless for checking the source systems integrity, you can only compare full data backups...

Thorsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Many thanks!

If I understood you right:

On target Server (no SAP ERP or other application install required) I can create a new DB instance and then weekly refresh via recover the DB in order to execute checkTables.

So if my productive ERP DB  has the size 450 GB I need on this target Server near 500 GB free size in order to create this DB instance?

0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

Yes that is correct. Just create a new DB instance of same version on your target server and make sure you have enough disk space on your target server to restore the production backup and then run the CHECK's on your target server on a weekly basis.

Regards,

Yashwanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

many thanks!

Are there any problems to upgrade MaxDB 7.7 to the newest version of MaxDB 7.8 running of Windows 2003 64 Bit?

I already read the appropriate upgrade Guide that explains that Database Studio is only running on Windows 2008.

But I think I can also work with Database Manager instead.

Any upgrade experience will be very appreciated.

0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

You ask a lot of questions

If I remember it correct, you said you have ERP product installed on your production environment right ?

Ok. Before you upgrade your MaxDB to 7.8 version on your production ERP, please check the PAM (Product Availability Matrix) at http://service.sap.com/pam --> Search for the SAP product (eg: ERP 6.0) -> Go to Technical Release Information -> Database Platforms

Check which version of MaxDB is released for your exact product version, OS platform and follow the upgrade guide. I would recommend you to test the upgrade on your test environment first. If the upgrade is succesful without any problems, then you can plan the downtime and upgrade your production in the similar way.

If you have any problems during the upgrade on your test environement, you can always create a CSS message and we will analyze the issue for you.

I hope this is clear.

Regards,

Yashwanth