Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on webservice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have few confusions about webservice.

1- when do we use webservices (SOAP )??

2- what kind of scenarios do involve webservice communication?

3- Does webservice suitable to update for one record at a time or can we use it to update  for multiple record at a time?

Say for ex: I have a practical scenario in which Lotus notes is sending sales order to get validated in ECC .

current scenario is : i am getting sales order (closed in last half hour) in a single file on FTP and PI is polling every half an hour .Pi pics file, SO gets validated in ECC and ECC returns the details of Sales order validated )

Now my question is : since multiple records are coming in a single file ,Can we implement this scenario using webservices?? If possible then how??

experts advice is needed

Thanks

Sandeep Sharma

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

>>1- when do we use webservices (SOAP )??

If you are trying to integrate with webservices then we go with SOAP adapter.

>> 2- what kind of scenarios do involve webservice communication?

Webservice integrating with SAP/Non SAP systems.

>> 3- Does webservice suitable to update for one record at a time or can we use it to update  for multiple record at a time?

It can update multiple records in a single shot.

>> For the scenario, you are speaking is File --> PI--> ECC ( via proxy)

You can use SOAP for updation of multiple records at a time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi hanumantha,

Thanks for the reply but all answers are quite irrelevant for me.

I know when we are integrating SAP/non SAP systems via webservice we have to use SOAP adapter.

I am looking for practical conditions where we can use webservices and where we can not ?

what may be Pros and cons if we are using webservice?

what may be limitations in using webservice scenarios?

For the scenario  File --> PI--> ECC ( via proxy)

I know that i can update multiple records coz i am using proxy .

But question is : can i send or Pic multiple sales order at a time using webservice??? so that i can update these multiple SO in ECC??

Experts please share your thoughts to clarify me about webservices

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the version of you PI?

With SAP PI 7.1 there is another new adapter introduced i.e WS adapter this is also used for webservices.

Some limitations as far as I know in PI 7.0: it does not directly allow to use SOAP 1.2 protocol for that we need to import jar files to make SOAP adapter to work on it.

Doesn't support the latest versions, WSRM protocol.

>> can i send or Pic multiple sales order at a time using webservice??? so that i can update these multiple SO in ECC??

Yes.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

At first I only want to say you if you are making "generic" questions is normal that Hanumantha gives you a generic answers

I am looking for practical conditions where we can use webservices and where we can not ?

what may be Pros and cons if we are using webservice?

what may be limitations in using webservice scenarios?

This question has multiples points of view. At first all depends if you are making the decision in the connectivity or you need you the follow the conditions of your third-partys clients. If it's possible i always try to do a webservices for my clients, Why?, because it a standard way to connection and almost languages supports to consume SOAP services and to do the development quickly, but sometimes it isnt possible like to a bank connection, they have its own communication protocols.

Pros: standard way to connection, quick development, easy to maintain, etc

Cons: there another standards of communication obligatories in determain kind of scenarios.

There are no limitations, but if you want to do a synchrounose scenario you need to think that the endpoints have a timeout connection, there is not appropiated to have a huge XMLs and a huge times of response. In my own experience if the response time is bigger than a one o two minutes, i try to do an asynchronouse scenario.

Now my question is : since multiple records are coming in a single file ,Can we implement this scenario using webservices?? If possible then how??

If i understand right you have a file with data to be stored in a ECC system and you want to return the result of this opperation, but Who is listening?

You could use a async FTP/FILE --- PI ---- PROXY or RFC  to send the data and later you want to return the result. There is the question, is the same system that send you  a file?, may be in this case they are more comfortable working with files and you should do a PROXY --- PI --- FILE scenario, have they a system in which they can cosume webservices easly?, you can make  a PROXY --- PI --- SOAP scenario.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Vila,

very well explained.This is kind of explanation , what i was looking for ......

If i understand right you have a file with data to be stored in a ECC system and you want to return the result of this opperation, but Who is listening?

Same system will be listening response. I am sending multiple record in a file from lotus Notes to ECC via PI and after validation done in ECC , i am sending response back to lotus notes.

I was more confused whether i can send multiple record from lotus notes and i can receive response containing multiple record.

If this is possible with webservice then Suggest me whether i should go for sync communication or for .Async

In file/FTP based communication , its more static communication while customer wants a real time solution.

customer has systems where he can consume webservice .. only i was skeptic about multiple record picking using a WS and then receiving multiple record.

Please share your more thoughts about this.

Thanks  a ton!!!!

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

As far as I know Lotus developers can do a SOAP communication, also there're a XI/PI adapters for lotus notes from third-party companies as iway.

You are concerned about multiple record issue, but in a SOAP - PI - ECC (proxy or RFC), the treatment of the records are implemented in the Lotus and the ECC systems, i want to say that the PI is the least of your problems, becuase PI only moves/maps the data from one location to another. All desired controls and transactionality should be done in the endpoints.

With SOAP - PI - ECC (proxy or RFC) you can develop an easy synchronous scenario, if the XML is not a huge document, there aren't any problem to PI to make the connection available and quick.

Regards.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1/2. SOAP Adapter is the one used for webservice communicaitons and the usage depends on the sender/target systems/applications support.

for .e.g if there is .Net application involved , one of the option to transfer the data will be via webservices..

it purely depends on the application compatability for the data transfer..

3. Again it depends on the application support for multiple records.

e.g. In ECC if you are using a BAPI/RFC for your validation the acceptance of Multiple Records depends on the Signature of the BAPI/RFC...

you can received the input in the form of multiple records and can split the messages into multiple at the target end.. so all depends and varies case by case..

in brief it supports..

HTH

Rajesh