cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing version setting in Configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I have 00....99 versioning for some document types. Now client is asking for facility to have more than 100 versions. Can I change the settings half-way from 00-99 method to AA-ZZ method or something like that? How to handle this?

thanks,

Pratap

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

Am waiting for an answer. I need to handle different version methods to facilitate more versions for DIRs/

Please reply.

thanks,

Pratap

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pratap,

I just saw your thread.

In case if you have already checked some files with this document type in question, then I suggest you to create new document type. If you change the versioning of existing document type, then you might not be able to file already checked in. Because system treats AA-ZZ and 00-99 differently internally.

If no documents have been checked in then, you can modify the existing document type.

Regards,

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amaresh,

Thanks for the reply. Now I have 2 document types having a Z-number exit which follows 01-99 versioning series. Other document types have standard 01-99 versioning series (eventually all doc types follow 01-99 only)

What I want is just an extension of versioning series. Say, after the current documents complete 01-99 series, further documents should follow AA-ZZ versioning, i.e, if a document is created after 99th version document, the next document should have AA version and so on.

I am planning it this way. The Z-exit will be modified to accommodate AA-ZZ once 99 is over. Then change the versioning method for all doc types to the Z-number exit. So, the current 01-99 will follow for all and once 99 is over, AA-ZZ will start.

Hope I explained my case in proper and clear words.

Please let me know if what I planned will work or not.

thanks,

Pratap

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Pratap,

I think that in this case only an individual version increment could help. Therefore you would have to create your own version increment in table TDWA_VERSION which looks like 00....99...AA....ZZ.

So it should be possible to have more than 100 versions.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Christoph for the reply.

I already have a Z-number exit which does the incrementing from 01-99. I am now making amendments in this Z-exit to accommodate AA-ZZ once 99 versions are over.

I have some document types where standard versioning is maintained which is from 01-99. Now if I replace this standard method with this Z-exit, will the versioning continue as usual? Please note that in these doc types, already many documents are created and checked-in.

thanks,

Pratap

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pratap,

Sorry for late reply.

I agree with Christoph's suggestion.

Now regarding your 2nd question:

Now if I replace this standard method with this Z-exit, will the versioning continue as usual? Please note that in these doc types, already many documents are created and checked-in.

I doubtful about it as I have not come across such situation. Generally, if documents are already checked-in and if you modify number range, it affects the documents checked-in (I have not tested it).

So better you try this in sandbox system.

Regards,

Amaresh Makal