Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate an index on LIPS table

former_member199632
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP recommending to activating an index on LIPS table.

I want to Activate the SAP delivered  index LIPS~VBG on table LIPS

What are the steps to activating this index?

Are there any precautions that needs to take before activating this index.

Is index activate using SE11?

regards,

zerandib

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Normally you open your LIPS table within SE11 with display option

There you'll see the Indexes button on top. Double click the Index VGB and then press Activate button in the new windows.

Depending on the number of records, it may take some time. Do it first on Test system and then on Production System in a low-utilized timeframe.

BR

former_member199632
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Huseyin,

Currently LIPS table having 1,581,624 records;

Roughly how much time will it take to create the index?

How can we found out the current status of the index.

(i have attached a screenshot of the current view;)

In the Status it mentioned as ;

Index does not exist in database system ORACLE

regards,

zerandib                   

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Normally this index is defined as non-database index. So, DB object is not created. If the document/SAP suggested you to activate this index, then it looks active. But if SAP suggests you to create it within DB, then please provide the resource which suggests this so we can check it. IF this is to be done, you've to first modify the index to make it a DB index too. Then you'll use Database Utility (SE14) to create the index within DB.

former_member199632
Participant
0 Kudos

Can you please clarify these two options

1. Is this the button , we use to activate the index?

2  Under "Status" it shows as  Active - Saved. Whats the meaning of this?

regards,

zerandin

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Yes

- it is used to activate the DDIC object and DB Object if it is an "Index on all database Systems"

- it is used to activate the DDIC object if it is an "No database index" (Only DDIC object activated, no DB index created)

2. It means, it is already activated. You don't have to do anything else

But, can you please share the source which suggested you to activate this index?

BR

former_member199632
Participant
0 Kudos

Actually this is an option suggested by SAP to improve the LIPS table access.

(After checking the system remotely)

They have mentioned that LIPS table access is quite expensive

So they are asking "Can you Activate the SAP delivered  index LIPS~VBG on table LIPS :"

regards,

zerandib

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Then it is active in your system. But please ask them if it is required to change te index to a DB index.

former_member199632
Participant
0 Kudos

thx Huseyin.

How to change this index to a DB index?

What would be the effect to the table if we change it to a DB index

Is it possible to reverse the index, if something goes wrong.

thanks

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you can change it to a DB index via SE11. But do not do it unless a note or SAP tells you to do it.

former_member199632
Participant
0 Kudos

OK .. I will check that further.

Even it mentioned Status -> Active - Saved

line next to it says;

Index does not exist in database system ORACLE - whats the meaning of this

Then why  SAP is asking to 'Activate the SAP delivered  index LIPS~VBG on table LIPS' !!!

regards,

zerandib

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. "Index does not exist in database system ORACLE" means that index is not created within DB. As it is a non-db index, it is not created in your case. So, it is normal

Sometimes, a db index may be also in this status, for e.g. due to a deletion on DB level.

2. Normally, not all indices of a table are comeing active by default. This may be the reason. Or they may be asking you to convert it to a db index. This is what I'm suggesting you to check.

BR

nmirandaghn
Participant
0 Kudos

I made a report where I had performance issues with LIPS table and I found this index 'VGB' where it wasn't activated. I made the decision to activate the index and I resolved my issue. I didn't have further problems and everything is fine at least at the moment.

However, looking for a SAP Note recently (not related with this one) I found the '185530 - Performance: Customer developments in SD' where it indicates several strategies to make searches using certain fields in tables like LIPS and others and I realized that there was an alternative before creating this 'VGB' index.

It quotes;

c) Search for deliveries with sales order number (preceding document, field LIPS-VGBEL):

Incorrect:   SELECT FROM lips WHERE vgbel = ...

Correct:   SELECT FROM vbfa WHERE VBELV  = ... and VBTYP_N = 'J'    SELECT FROM lips WHERE vbeln = vbfa-vbeln

AND posnr = vbfa-posnn

I feel sorry that I didn't make more research about this and I'm convinced that it would have been better to follow those instructions, however as I quoted we don't experiment issues at all and the report works fine.

My advice is always make your homework first before engaging your own solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nilson,

Can you tell me how can you activate the standard index.

Thanks in advance.

Satya

nmirandaghn
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, which one? the LIPS index? Hüseyin Bilgen has already explained how.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replay. Here I am not fully clear how can I activate the VGB index whether the index is already showing as active. Here we have to change the queue from no database index to database index. Please help me.

Thanks,

Satya

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What about

SE11- "change" - Flip the radio button - SAVE - Activate

Volker