cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW on HANA process chains updating data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Question:

Once i migrate std infocube to inmemory infocube on hanadb, willl my process chains automatically update the infocube related inmemory fact tables on hana db.

Since i have my process chains which run periodically to load data to dso and infocubes in traditional oracle database,

And since these objects are also migrated to HANADB. will it automatically take care of loading data at the same time

While loading to traditional BW system on oracle db?

Thanks a lot for the helpful info

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

for your question :-

And since these objects are also migrated to HANADB. will it automatically take care of loading data at the same time

Answer:-as per my understanding it will not take this activity automatically ,i think you need to reshedule as per your requirement.

Regards,

Ravinder Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Anooj and Ravi for the info.

Question: What happens to those Bex or BO reports which are using these INFOCUBES, once after we migrate to HANADB.

Are these reports still point to the Oracle based infocube tables?

Or we need to modify these reports to point to the Columnar table within HANA schema?

Or we have both tables one ON BW side and other one in Hanadb?

What is teh real advantage of the data which is made as column oriented flat table? we use this table with building analytical views on Hana .

I really appreceate, If you can please kindly share your expert opinion.

Kind Regards,

Guy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Once migrated only hana tables will exist. You Bex/BO reports on top of the cubes will continue to work the same way, may be run faster than it used to run. Remember the reports point to the cube and not directly on the underlying tables. You dont have to modify the reports.

To understand bw on hana cubes and advantages around it, suggest you read through these:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/e1/5282890fb846899182bc1136918459/content.htm

https://cookbook.experiencesaphana.com/modeling-data/bw-modeling-sap-hana/aspects-hana-optimized-inf...

Thanks,

Anooj

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/14/268a8602b241d0b6df1e6f3028c702/content.htm

Derek_Fox
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Guy

I've been reading the comments and based on my experience with a BW on HANA system, the following is relevant to your questions.

Question 1:

What happens to those BEx or BO reports which are using these INFOCUBES, once after we migrate to HANADB

Answer:

Once you migrate to a BW on HANA system, depending on whether you kept the same host names, SID, etc...,

• No changes to host names, SID's (Reused)

no change is necessary for the BEX queries or BusinessObjects reports as these still point to the InfoCubes on the BW system, regardless whethere they have been converted to an In-Memory InfoCube or not. The BW system will handle it for you.

Once we did the conversion of BW to BW on HANA, we converted all DSO's and InfoCubes to the in-memory versions to take advantage of the HANA DB. there was no changes required, all existing BEx queries and BusinessObjects Reports worked

• Different Host names, SID's.

Then you will have to make changes to the BusinessObject Report's connections.

Question 2:

Are these reports still point to the Oracle based InfoCube tabes?

Answer:

Once the migration to HANA DB has occurred, the Oracle database is no longer used (there is no link any more within the BW system). The reports use the InfoCubes on the BW system that uses the HANADB.

Question 3:

Or we need to modify these reports to point to the Columnar table within HANA schema?

Answer:

No need for this effort as these reports are already taking advantage of the Columnar table via the in-memory optimise InfoCubes/DSO's

Question 4:

Or we have tables one on BW side or another one in HANADB?

Answer:

In the HANADB, the BW tables are stored in the bwschema. There is a presentation just released with regards to BW SP8 which shows some of the options. https://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-32264

Regards

derek

Former Member
0 Kudos

i think it should work as anooj has mentioned ,you need to modify your process chain by removing the rollup,indexs process types from Process chain,otherwise i dont see any show stopper for this.

Regards,

Ravinder Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yet to try this myself but theoretically yes, your process chains should run without issues after you convert your cubes/dso's into hana optimized ones. With optimized cubes, sap claims you dont need aggregates and indexes on them anymore in which case you might want to remove the rollup and index create/delete process types from your chain. Otherwise, the chains should run alright like it used to before.

Also worth checking for useful sap notes for known issues/bugs/errors in this regard.

Thanks,

Anooj