cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why we need to z report ?? advantage or disadvantage of z report??

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Expert,

why we need to z report ?? advantage or disadvantage of z report??

Regards,

Aryan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MohanDesai
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Aryan,

I am trying to add few points to the experts views;

Z reports in simple language are tailor made reports for the Business needs.

Advantages :

Whats not possible to report with Standard Reports can be reported using Z reports. e.g, A report contains lots of calculations before reporting Z can be helpful where requisites formulae can be derived and data can be fetched from required tables to do so.

Disadvantages;

As people have mentioned already performance issues may come up.

It takes good number of manhours(ABAP & Functional Team) to prepare the functional spec and develop.

May be the points might have been covered in above replies but I thought if I can explain it in a different way it  may help you in understanding.

Regards to All....

MRD

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

sanjeevc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think above information is clear you query apart of those.

Z report = your own developed report where you seem desired data, basically this requirement originate by Mgm. called customize report.

Advantages :- get you result as desired

Disadvantages :- Performance like whatever table you are using in customize report. If those are not updating as updating standard sap table. result would be poor or not perform as you desire.

principle issue is suppose any issue come out can't be solve easily because sap is helpless for issue of customize report.

Regards,

Sanjeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aryan,

Many businesses use some or the other legacy system to handle their day to day business affairs and hence get used to these systems, be it the usability, reporting etc etc. When SAP is implemented in such businesses they tend to compare SAP with this legacy system and hence prefer to have reports that look very much similar to the reports they used to get in the legacy system.

Though SAP is the best ERP in the market today many businesses still do not get the kind of reports they look for from the standard SAP system. In such scenarios Z reports are developed to fulfill the clients requirement. These reports are developed by fetching the required data from the respective SAP tables and then displaying them in the output of the report that is usually run with a custom tcode.

Advantages - You can design different types of reports according to clients requirement. There are a lot of options available to develop such type of reports.

Disadvantages - The most important thing to consider with Z reports is the performance factor. If the logic is not written properly it can severely hamper the performance of the report. There can be a lot of bugs even after doing a thorough testing of the report. As pointed above, there can also be an issue which cannot be easily solved and you do not have an option of asking for help from SAP.

SAP does not support or help out with queries associated with the Z report.

As far as my experience goes, Z reports are very flexible and usually tend to meet most of the clients requirement as far as reporting is concerned.

Reards,

Gokul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aryan,

Z reports are Customized reports.

Advantage is that Z report can be created when requirement of Business is not fulfilled with standard report and hence user want to see report in the format he expects. In developing Z report, existing system is not altered.

One disadvantage I can think is that in case of miscellaneous issues, it is not possible to get support on this Z report from SAP as it is not standard.

Regards

Tushar

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aryan,

Z reports = Customized Reports

Customized Reports =Kind of Reports which we create to see only those data/figures that we want to see & analyze.

Advantages & Disadvantages:

No disadvantages as such until and unless it does not update or maintain some data in SAP std. tables .It all depends upon the kind of report and its behavior.

(Discuss with ABAPer also)

Advantage is that it fulfills some specific requirement of business and business users.

Regards

Ankur