cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA trial - CSV Upload - Cannot change permissions on Error Log files via FTP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been following the HANA trial documentation and have uploaded some CSV files and successfully loaded them to HANA tables.  So the logins are working ok and the file locations are right.

However, I now face a problem where an error has occured after executing this in the SQL Editor:

IMPORT FROM '/dropbox/S0002588137/Amex/AMEX_Small.ctl'

The .ctl file contained the line  "error log 'AMEX_Small.err'" at the end. The upload failed and so the system has correctly created an 'AMEX_Small.err' file and I can see it exists via FTP ok, however I cannot open it, copy it, edit it, nor can I FTP it locally - so I cannot see what the error actually is.  Reading other posts on here I can see I should change the permissions on the file and containing folder.

The folder called '/Amex' has 777 permissions, so that is ok, and I can see the file '/Amex/AMEX_Small.err' has permissions 644, so I am trying to set that to be 777 also.  However, right clicking in FileZilla to set the permissions on that file keeps giving me this error:

Status: Set permissions of '/S0002588137/Amex/AMEX_Small.err' to '777'

Command: SITE CHMOD 777 AMEX_Small.err

Response: 550 SITE CHMOD command failed.

How do I change permissions on the .err file so I can see it?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I went ahead and change the permission. Can you try again? It was caused by your FTP client did not set the permission correctly when uploading, not really sure why it did that

Thanks,
Rocky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rocky,

It is very very odd, as I can open one file ok, but not another.  It seems each time a new .err is created I lose the ability to see it.

I keep getting the same error when I try to change permissions myself:

Command: SITE CHMOD 777 AMEX_Small.err

Response: 550 SITE CHMOD command failed.

I have decided not to pursue this CSV upload route, and instead will generate data like this:

http://scn.sap.com/people/r.konijnenburg/blog/2012/02/04/how-to-generate-big-test-data-with-a-little...

Thanks for helping anyway, I can only assume it is something peculiar to my id or FTP client.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the late response. I was busy with SAP TechEd and having a very little time catching up so many other stuffs

I will investigate more, I'm not sure why your client generates the file with a wrong permission. Probably the folder was created with a wrong permission at the first place?

Anyhow, I'm glad that you already found another way to play around with data. Let me know when you have more issues!

Best,

Rocky

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've spotted something else that may be relevant.  In FileZilla I can see that all the files that I have uploaded myself (using that shared FTP user account) have the same Owner/Group value and these I can change permissions on ok.

However, all the .err files that were generated from within HANA by executing an SQL Script, they all have a different Owner/Group.  All of these files currently have permissions 644 and I cannot change change the permissions on these, and so I cannot view or FTP them.

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suppose you need to logon Linux with root and change to permission to 777 with it.

Or at least with <sid>adm, where <sid> is your three letter System ID for the HANA server. That's probably the user HANA uses for OS level operations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Henrique, that makes sense and I agree it should fix it.

However, from a practical viewpoint for me fixing this problem now on the HANA trial server, I don't think I would be able to get hold of an admin password and login to Linux.  I only have FTP access with that generic id.

What I don't understand is why when I look at the files in other people's folders they sometimes have all files - including the .err files - created under the same Owner/Group values.  So clearly not everyone has this problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin

Meanwhile which version of HANA you are on, if the problem get resolved it is fine otherwise from SPS04, CSV file import option is directly embdded in HANA Studio, you don't need FTP .This is  just an information ,may be you ar aware of ,Is there any specific reason why you want to use FTP for CSV files.If you are already on SPS4.

Thanks

Santosh Varada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Santosh, I am using the HANA 30 day Trial system which I think is version 1.0.31 (if I'm reading it right) and I believe this does not yet have the ETL stuff in it.

I am trying to follow this blog http://scn.sap.com/people/r.konijnenburg/blog/2011/12/26/sap-hana-developer-access-beta-program--get... about getting some decent sized data volumes into HANA.  Although yes I can load data, I am effectively blind when anything errors as I cannot see inside the .err file.

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To be honest I never had it.Whenever importing, if I had errors, I could open the .err files.