cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC 6.0 system copy - different oracle versions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We want to create DEV server from PRD (using Oracle 10g) server, but the requirement of DEV is that it should have Oracle 11g.

Is it still called homogeneous system copy?

PRD has two servers - SAP system and DB server. Same should be for DEV.

DEV should not contain any transactional data.

Thank you for your answer,

Best regards,

Nerijus.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nerijus,

Perform homogeneous system copy when both sides are at the 10g. After the respectful operation, upgrade the database to 11 at the development site.

Homogeneous copy means that OS and DB must be the same on both sites.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answer Orkun.

I'd like to ask more questions, if it does not bother you:

Can the transactional data be removed during copy? Because we don't want DEV to contain it as PRD contains huge amounts of it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, it is not possible. If you would like to remove the transactional data, perform a fresh install at the development side. Then, perform the client import/export procedure with the required profile with your needs.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if the pain is big enough, you could consider SAP TDMS (test data migration server) infrastructure.

This has been build by SAP especially for this case - bring just parts of application data from the source to the target system.

But for this you need to build up some things, what may be too high sophisticated in your environment.

Another possibility, ask your developers to replicate just some of the data into your development system, e.g. via IDoc or LSMW.

Regards,

Peter

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all.

Btw, we have found out that database versions are both 11g.

If we choose this way - perform a fresh install at the development side. Then, perform the client import/export procedure with the required profile with your needs.

This new install of DEV, it must have same Software Components, Release and Level?

I suppose it will be hard to find downloads for that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> Btw, we have found out that database versions are both 11g.

So, you can bypass database upgrade phase.

>> This new install of DEV, it must have same Software Components, Release and Level?

I suppose it will be hard to find downloads for that.

Yes, it is hard to find but don't you have DVD sets?

On the other hand, to make easier the steps, perform the system copy. Delete the client at the development site. Create a new client with the same number you dropped. Then, perform a client copy without documents.

By doing so, all the sp levels will be the same and don't need to find and install patches into the system.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Thanks for pointing out the details.

But don't we need DVD sets for system copy also?

How does the new system gets installed in the new server? System copy process just copies files?

Many thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, the system copy does not only copy the files. By the system copy procedure, you don't need to import, export and support packages. Instead the system will request you restore the database in the middle of the process. Please check the document, fo the further infomation;

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000416392008E.pdf

On the the hand, if you installed a SAP system at the development site, already, it is enough to restore the database and follow the procedure that I noted in my previous message. Thus, you don't need to find any DVD.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

This will be our course of action based on your suggestions:

1. As DEV server/system does not exist we will perform database specific system copy from PRD. This will create us DEV system with different SID's.

2. We will then perform local client copy in our DEV without including of transactional data.

As I understand step 1 must be done using sapinst from SAP Master installation DVD, which was delivered on purchase. Correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

After the 1st step, do not forget to drop the client at the development site. Then, continue with the 2nd step.

Former Member
0 Kudos

To clarify the remarks so far:

As there is no DEV so far, you'll need the installation master, kernel, rdbms, and maybe some more when copying your system to a fresh installation.

But as you start sapinst, it will tell you which DVDs are needed. All of these should have been shipped by SAP, when you signed the license contract.