cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNP Does not support more than 1 mode in PPM- How to overcome this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am trying to use one operation but three resources. So essentially the I/O components (X--> Y) remain the same, there are three activities A1, A2, A3 with R1,R2,R3 resources respectively (I am using PPM)

So whenever a planned order is created for Y, a dependent demand comes at X and all three resources R1,R2,R3 gets loaded accordingly.

I tried this using one operation, one activity and more than one mode. However, SNP does not support more than one mode. I tried the option of using alternate resource in single mode, but this is not conceptually right and is not working either.

Is there a way to overcome this? Or do we need to create three PPMs- X-->X1 with R1, X1-->X2 with R2, X2-->Y with R3?

Regards

Manotosh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I am a bit confused.

If when the planned order is creater you should load all three resources (R1,R2 and R3), then it is not 3 modes what you are looking for, but a main resource (say R1) and secondary resources (R2 and R3), which would be non-scheduling capacities in ECC. With the modes approach (3 modes), you would load either on R1, R2 or R3, but not in all at the same time (it means you have three alternative ways of manufacturing Y taken into account in the same version).

However, it's been a while since I last worked with PPMs/PDS an I may be wrong.

regards,

J.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried the following further-

Tried to create

1. single operation-multiple activity- different resources maintained for different activity, logical components maintained for 1st activity- System shows an error as maintain activity relationship. When I try to do that, system makes the predecessor, successor data same and throws error as "Relationships can only be created betw.different activities" AND cyclical activity relationship

2. Multiple operations- multiple activity- different resources maintained for different activity, logical components maintained for 1st activity- System shows an error as maintain activity relationship. When I try to do that, system makes the predecessor, successor data same and throws error as "Relationships can only be created betw.different activities " AND cyclical activity relationship

3. Multiple operations- multiple activity- different resources maintained for different activity, logical components maintained for all activities (same input/output definition) - System shows an error as maintain activity relationship. When I try to do that, system makes the predecessor, successor data same and throws error as "Relationships can only be created betw.different activities " AND cyclical activity relationship

Basically the logic is say I have single operation as 'finishing' where two operations are happening as 'cleaning' & 'polishing'. When an order comes for finishing of 100 Qty, both the machines for cleaning and polishing should get loaded with 100 qty each.

Awaiting further pointers on it.

Regards

Manotosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you try a fourth: single operation - single activity - more than one resource ?

First one would be your calendar resource (relevant for scheduling), the others will just be consumed by the same activity. This is possible in PP/DS, I believe it is also possible in SNP.

regards,

J.

former_member197994
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manotosh,

I think option 3 is quite straight forward and I expect it to work.

Checking the online help http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm70/helpdata/en/25/a4e44a64fe11d3b6390000e82de178/frameset.htm,

there are restrictions like "Each operation can contain only one activity." "you can specify only one mode per activity".

So the allowed structure should be

operation 1 with one activity with one mode,

operation 2 with one activity with one mode,

Can you verify if it's the case in your sample?

Best regards,

Tiemin

Answers (0)