cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is MII capable of following SOA principles?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I came across this opinion recently, and it seems that MII is not capable of compliance with SOA principles. It kind of busted my bubble and so, I did some research on what exactly are principles of SOA. I have gone through some documents, Wikipedia etc. and found that there are various ways to define it. It depends on what are the requirements, where it needs to implemented, etc., but few things can be mentioned as common objectives, such as:

1. loose coupling
2. service abstraction
3. back-end logic encapsulation
4. service reusability
5. optimal granularity
6. should follow common communications standards (SOAP, HTTP(S), etc.)
7. service repository (discovery and consumption)
8. reliability (uniqueness of service provider or 1 to 1 relation b/w service/event and provider)

Now here is the thing, the way I see MII is that, it is almost like a programming language and I agree that it is not as strong as any random programming language but if designed in a proper way, it is sufficient enough to comply with all points above. And I am not talking about any writing custom action block codes here.
but MII sits on top of Netweaver CE, and I wonder why it is ignored whenever we talk about solutions with MII. NWCE gives you JMS, PI stack of messaging, Service repository, BPM, and a lot of other features that can be used along with MII to perfectly design a SOA. You've got to install that NWCE thing anyways to use MII. Then why not leverage it?

So, in summary here are my questions:
1. Do you think MII is not capable of supporting SOA?
2. If no, then which of the above 8 principles do you think MII fails at? (Try to keep NWCE in mind too)
3. Is it wrong to consider NWCE features when talking about MII solutions?

Please share any other relevant thoughts too that you think I might have missed or facts that I overlooked.

Cheers,
Piyush Govil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sidnooradarsh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Piyush,

Nice topic!

Based on my experience and understanding, SOA is not new to any programmer, it may look something very overwhelming to start with but in reality at some point we all do make use of SOA principles sometimes even without our notice.

The very basic rule of SOA is keep the Core Business functions discrete, independent and

Consumable.

So coming to the point is MII SOA compliant, I would say SOA is defined not by any programming language or how you code it but it is defined by how you design an application, any programming language is just a means to realize the SOA framework.

For instance, a BLS in MII can be potential SOA architecture given that it can consumed as a Webservice and this service doesn't care who calls it or who needs it, all it does is takes input and

gives output.

This is just my personal opinion, some may agree and most not.

Regards,

Adarsh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adarsh,

Thanks for your response!

I totally agree with you and I sometimes feel that all that SOA is much simpler than said and described. Same goes with the concept of ESB too.
Just wondered though if I might have been missing something.

Regards,

Piyush Govil

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A little tongue in cheek here, but isn't that like asking whether a politician is capable of lying?

former_member185280
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael Appleby wrote:

A little tongue in cheek here, but isn't that like asking whether a politician software salesperson is capable of lying?

FTFY

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ouch! 

Message was edited by: Michael Appleby