cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aggregation based on field value : Analytical view or Calculation view

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have my analytical view as below (system landscape: ERP data replicated over HANA DB; modelling using Studio)

EBELN EBELP     VGABE     BWART  BEWTP     DMBTR
4500005836      00010    1 101E 286.32
4500005836      00010    1 101 E     687.18
4500005836      00010    1 101 E     2004.26
4500005836      00010    2
Q   707.84
R   1964.18

I would like to aggregate(sum) the DMBTR(amount) based on VGABE, mean first(measure m1) to add all the DMBTR with VGABE = 1 and then another (m2) for VGABE = 2.

I tried creating a calculated measure using the m1= IF("VGABE"=1,DMBTR,0) but HANA Studio doesnot allow me.

Can any body suggest me how I can proceed further?

Thanks in advance!

Vittali

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vittali,

Have you tried using restricted measures? That perfectly suits your use case here. Restrict measure  DMBTR by a specific attribute value of VGABE.

Your way of creating a calculated measure should also work but when you say HANA Studio doesnt allow me, is it that you are getting a syntax error? If so, I would change the expression to IF("VGABE"='1',"DMBTR",0) and also ensure the type of the calculated measure is the same as that of DMBTR.

Having said that you should be using "restricted measures" for this. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anooj,

Thanks a reply!

You were right, my syntax was wrong. I ended up using calculated measure using the IF condition, and its working fine for me. I believe it should work the same for restricted measures.

Then why use restricted measure specifically?

Best Regards,

Vittali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good question around the use case for restricted measures as opposed to achieving the same with calculated measures (as stated above).

The way I see it, calculated measures have no influence on the select statement that hits the underlying database. They are processed once the data is all brought back, record by record. So something like this (on a very high level in simplistic terms):

Select from DB -> Aggregate result set based on selection -> Process calculated measure for each record

If you have the calculate before aggregation option set, the above changes to:

Select from DB -> Process calculated measure for each record -> Aggregate result set based on selection

However, the difference with restricted measures could be that, the restrictions are incorporated into your select statement that hits the DB and hence avoiding the need to do record by record processing & consequently should be more faster than the calculated measure approach in this case. The process flow for restricted measures would be something like this:

Select from DB (with Restrictions on measures) -> Aggregate result set based on selection

You may not notice the performance hit for a few 100s of records but for significant data volume I am guessing there should be some difference.

A little caveat to add: The above is based on my theoretical understanding & assumptions on the topic. You might want to verify this from documentations/material available out there if you are interested.

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anoop ,

Couldn't ask for a more logical answer..

Best Regards

Vittali

Answers (0)