cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"File Error while performing the import Action in Import Manager"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP MDM gurus,

I wasnt to change the material description for a list of 10 materials out of 10000 material records.

I have already the excel file in which only the material and the new description values are given.

In the import manager, i have defined the match records, and  feild mapping but while doing "value mapping", my destination tab is disabled.

How to do "value mapping ", is it an important step , because even skipping value mapping, the import tab shows "Ready".

However after pressing import tab, it's has still not imported the records.

Please suggest where I might be going wrong. I have selected import action as "Create".

Regards

Sanjana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjana,

In Source field mapping, map  unique fields/key field ( for e.g. map the unique material number or unique material name). Also map the "Material description field" which you want to update.

Here no need for value mapping, as this is mainly used for look-up table values.

In Match records tab, select the unique field for matching the records. Here in "records matching" pane, you will see the source records which are exactly matched with the destination records.

Use the import action as "Update(All Mapped Fields)".

It is recommended to refresh the Record matching after this.

Import your records now, if everything is ok in the previous steps , then you should be able to update your records this time.

Note: if you have used Materail Number field previously for mapping and matching, and if you have leading zeros in this, then in Excel while importing , it takes the value without the leading zeros, in this case you will have to manually add the zeros before the material number in the "converted value" pane.

Let me know, if you have this problem. If not then try according to the way I have explained above.

If you are sucessfull, kindly update this post.

Regards,

Rohini Joshi.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush,

I guess you may be right with the authorization part. But where do I checkc for import Authorization at diretory level. I am aware of the authorization part defined in console for repository level. That authorization is already a"Execute". Is there some other authoriztion to be checked.where can I check that.

Please suggest.

Regards.

Sanjana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjana,

It has nothing to do with authorization access in Console system.

You must have installed Import Manager GUI somewhere on your desktop/laptop.

Go to that folder where it is installed and Inside folder "Import Manager" you can try creating one dummy file and if you are able to save it, then you have write access in that folder otherwise not.

Or you can check in the properties of the log file(which would be there in Import Manager folder in your C or D drive on your desktop) if you have Write permissions on that.

Kindly check and let us know. Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjana,

Can you please update/close the thread? Please let us know your findings regarding the above issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjana,

Can you please let me know what is the field type of description field in MDM?

If it is not a Look up type then value mapping would not be required as system will automatically convert the values for data import.

Since you have defined all the required things in your Import map, and you want to update description for existing records, then under "Default Import Action" for Match Type "Exact" you need to select "Update(All Mapped Fields)". Then after Record Matching, press on "Execute Import" icon and your records should get updated.

Reason of the records not getting updated could be that currently default import action might be "Skip" for exact matches and hence nothing is happening after the import.

Please get back in case you have any doubts.

Note : "Create" option is used for Match Type "None" and should be used only when you want to create new records. If you need to update already existing record, then use "Update" option for Match type "Exact".

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush and Rohini,

First of all thanks, I found your answers helpfull and have marked you both.

I have 3 material records maintained in an excel and have done everything in the match Map tab.

However , I can see, in the import action, the status is below:

Active    Match Level   Match type    Default import action

0 of 0   None              None               Skip

3 of 3   Single            Exact                 Update(All Mapped values)

I have executed the import button, but it's taking too long,,,to import, is it because i have not sleceted the workflow in the configuration  or some authorization problem.

It also shows "Error opening file" , although the import action is also running in parallel.

help please Experts.

Regards.

Sanjana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjana,

It seems like authorization issue because error message says "Error opening file".

I would request you to check your access to Import Manager folders. You should have "Write" access in the directory where Import Manager Client is installed. Import Manager writes a Log file located in this location and if the permissions are "Read Only" then system will throw this message.

You can check below link which tells the same:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3229892

Please get Write access for Import Manager Directory on your system and it should work fine and time taken will also be very less. Kindly check and let me know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjana,

I would agree with above post.

Also,did you try copying content in other file and importing.

Please try and update the thread.

Thanks,

Ravi