cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I do a homogenous system copy, but change from Windows Server 2003 SP2 to Windows Server 2003 R2

josteinb
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

We need to move all our sap systems to new IT infrastructure vendor, and as former vendor do not allow to copy the whole virtual servers, we plan to use sap system copy? (If there is easier ways please comment) I read that homogeneous system copy is easier then heterogeneous system copy. Quote from sap system copy guide:

Only perform a system copy if you have experience in copying systems and thorough knowledge

of the operating system, the database, and the Java Dictionary. Only perform a heterogeneous

system copy if you are a certified system support consultant or a certified SAP Technical

Consultant.

I wonder if I can do a homogenous sap system copy of our sap netweaver consumer portal (nw 702, sp7, java only stack), but change from Windows Server 2003 SP2 to Windows Server 2003 R2 (yes still 2003, so it is a small change in OS)?

Is the answer different for our dual stack solution manager nw702 installation?

If that can not be done, how much more difficult is it to do a heterogenous system copy and how much longer time does it take including the planning for it, approximately?

Best regards

Jostein Bjerga

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member191911
Contributor
0 Kudos

Since the operating system and the database are not changing, you can execute these migration via the homogeneous system copy method. This also counts for your double stack installations.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is not differs from windows 2003 to 2008 , its same OS , and either the DB. so u can go through homogeneous system copy as Dijsselbloem said.

contact me if u need any help.

josteinb
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you. That is great to know

premsukh_bishnoi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Since your OS/DB combination is same so it fall under homogenous system copy.

You need to use sapinst for export/import procedure in JAVA stack case.

For abap stack  you can use detach-attach prodecure which is very easy way of doing.

Estimated time for system copy can be determined vai test export and test import procedure.

In case of 50GB database size it would be around 1 day (including post processing steps).

Regards, Premsukh

josteinb
Explorer
0 Kudos

Detach-attach procedure is that also using sapinst? Can it be used on solution manager dual stack as well, or do i need to do export/import on java stack part and detach/attach on the abap part of the dual stack installation? Or is there a third option recommended for dual stack system copies...

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi jostein,

yes for detach-attach procedure you use sapinst after the attach of the database files.

the java stack part has to be done with exp/import.

todo:

1.) export the java instance on source system,

2.) detach the database files of the source system,

3.) attach the database files on the target system,

4.) run sapinst (hom.SystemCopy - detatch/atach) on the target system,

br

julius

Answers (0)