cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to temporarily deactivate system in LMDB to avoid QGM errors?

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, all.

Some background for this one:

we're on SM7.1, sp4.  We use Quality gate management for transports/projects.

One of the issues we've had in the past was that during system upgrades, if systems were included in QGM configuration and were not temporarily deactivated in SMSY then transports would fail as the TP would perform TMS checks and see that the system was not available at transport time.  In SMSY there was the ability to temporarily inactivate that system so that the TMS check would skip checking to see if that system was available.

Since moving to SM7.1, that check box in SMSY is no longer available - instead, we seem to need to go to LMDB and select "Inactive" for system status which "should" make that change in SMSY to temporarily inactivate the system.  The problem, however, is that this configuration change does not seem to be reflected in SMSY without a lot of jumping through hoops (making another change, save change, reverse change) to try to get the LMDB to SMSY job to actually see the change and send it so SMSY.

Has anyone come across this and found a consistent way to get this to work? 

thanks.

Bernie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Well, this is old, but I'll update it anyhow.  We've found that the most consistent way to deactivate a system from STMS is to deactivate it in LMDB as noted above, but then to ALSO lock it in the domain controller STMS screen.  Do this by logging in to client 000 of domain controller, go to STMS system overview, right click on appropriate system and select Lock.  Then distribute/activate.

There will be a caution pop up that must be followed, else trouble ensues:  CAUTION: If any of the other systems in the domain are down, this action will fail.  Do not attempt to distribute if you know other systems are down and have not been previously disabled with these steps.  They should appear red as opposed to green in the above screenshots.

Perform steps in reverse sequence to undo.

hth someone. 

bk

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Mark, that's pretty much what we do as well.  Mark as inactive in LMDB.  My problem is that I've seen inconsistent transfer of that parameter to SMSY, so I'm never really sure if it worked or not.  As for the Virtual systems, the only way I know  to do that is to delete from TMS and readd as a virtual system.  I wish there was a way to just "mark" a system as virtual so as to avoid a lot of admin and transport headaches.

Former Member
0 Kudos

See my response.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We just went live with new Solman 7.1 SPS5 charm. We were using 7.0 EHP1 SPS23. We have a 4 system landscape for ERP, BW, SCM, GRC.

Dev > Unit > QA > Prd

I have a test Solman 7.1 SPS5 (SD7) with real ERP 6.0 EHP5 systems: RDX, RUX, RQX, RPX

In the old 7.0 release, I was able to "temporarily inactivate system" in SMSY per step 5 of solman Charm 7.0 blog from D. Correa. We are planning a database copy of the unit test systems from production which will be a 9 day outage, but in the past if I deleted the system in STMS transport domain, and added back as virtual, all was good. I also went into SMSY and set the "Temporarily Inact. System" flag below. So, I am trying to test turning existing RUX into virtual RUX and back to real.

As soon as change mode is entered, the LMDB editor screen pops-up.  Is there a flag in LMDB to set?  I cannot find it.

Then, the developers were able to create test transports (TOCs) during the outage. They would just stack up in the RUX buffer, until the real system is back, at which time we could import them and carry on as usual.

I notice the virtual flag is not set either even though I reread the system data in SMSY. Probably because of the RZ70 which points to SD7 SLD and LMDB entries are still there from the real system?

Is there some flag in LMDB that indicates "temporarily unavailable". I cannot delete RUX from LMDB because of the use in logical components, projects, and managed system monitoring setup.  Nor do I want to go this route.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In LMDB editor, if you change the "Technical System status" to Inactive, then the "Temporarilyl Inactive System" box gets checked in SMSY.