cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data transfer to hana using bods

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all i am trying to transfer a data from t005t to t005t and i am getting an following error

1728815116DBS-0704019/4/2012 12:35:22 PMvalue too large for column: 安提瓜和巴布达>.

but i checked the data types all look same. can someone help me please.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sri,

i've seen that happen when the source and target tables have different encodings.

For example, in UTF-8 a character might be represented by 2 bytes but in ISO-8859-1 or UTF-16 it can be represented by 4.

The easiest way to ensure you don't loose data is to increase the data type in the HANA (target) side. Usually working with latin characters (á, à, ç etc.) the double always worked for me. For chinese/japanese characters I'm not sure the double will be enough, but you can try.

Just use an ALTER TABLE command, like:

ALTER TABLE "SCHEMA"."TABLE" ALTER ("COLUMN" VARCHAR(256));

Also make sure to reimport the table in DS after you alter it, so that the table type is properly updated there.
I'd also remove and reinclude the target table in the workflows, as well as recreate the mapping queries.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

I even have similar requirement.

We got  japanese data in excel. As I had some issues with excel , i had copied the data and saved it in text with ut8-format and build format connection with language - japan and code page --utf8. I was able to preview the data  in japanese language. when i run the job and see the data , it was showing some special cherecters in table.

please suggest me how can solve this issue.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks you all guys. but i already figured it out.

appreciate for your help guys. This blog is really amazing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are having problems with storing foreign characters then Erhan is probably right as this is a common data type issue.

The HANA data type which supports multi language is NVARCHAR. VARCHAR contain ASCII character strings while NVARCHAR is used for storing Unicode character strings. Effectively NVARCHAR makes the length variable for the Unicode character set string allowing for foreign characters to be stored. The system needs extra room to store the foreign characters and if teh length is not variable then you get a space issue.

Kind regards,

Danielle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Change your fields of table from varchar to nvarchar. It will solve your problme.

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sir:

For test purposes only try import English text by putting a filter in the selection.

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where can i add the fileter