cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PP/DS production order in SCM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

"A PP/DS planned order can be converted to production order in SAP SCM and it makes sense to do so."

This sentence is form SAP material.I was thinking SCM(APO) system is only a planning system and ECC is the execution system. As per the above statement, the SCM should only create a planned order and the ECC system converts these into production order. But the above statement seem to be contradicting.

Could somebody please explain me why we need a PP/DS production order in SCM?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Visu

A production order in APO is a Planned order with a flag for conversion.

The order can only be released in R3 and then is "executed"

The reason for converting a planned order to Production order in APO is becuse when a conversion of APO planned order to Production order happens certain data is merged and the APO information is valid

This includes information on operations start date and time and end date and time

Though it is is not necessary, it makes sense to convert planned orders from APO if you want to copy the detailed dates from PPDS to R3

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

R/3 is indeed the execution system, but production orders are also firmed reciept elements which impact the planning situation of APO. So they are required in APO.

Technically production orders are always created in R/3.

When you trigger convesion from APO - there is a significant difference -

The scheduling information(dates) as determined in APO(operations were created using supply source like PDS) will be RETAINED.

If you convert directly in R/3, this is not possible as the system deletes the existing planned order and creates a new production order.

This is the reason why this triggering functionality is given in APO(i.e. to retain scheduling information as APO is lead system for scheduling).

Message was edited by:

Harsha D J

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Visu,

My friend Hairsh has already given his views and here is some more details.

When you convert a planned order in SCM/APO it only sends the conversion trigger to the ERP system. On the ERP system the planned order header information is copied and a production order created with BOM explosion as well resulting in component requirements. Please note in case of a planned order in ERP there are no operation details. Only when you convert the order to a Production Order the operations are derived, material reservations created.

Then all these relevant operation level details are sent back to SCM/APO system with the new Production Order number and you see it in APO.

You can also convert the planned orders in the ERP system to production order, but logically the production planner is responsible for the conversion and then the master scheduler takes over to schedule the operations. For both of them APO offers the facilities. Only for execution and component availability check details you need to be in ERP system.

Hope this helps,

Somnath