cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hp unix and aix commands

Former Member
0 Kudos

as a basis consultant what are the important and frequently used commands on hp-unix and aix

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi sudhakar,

in the most cases you can use these interactive managemant tools on aix: smitty and on hp-ux: sam,

just type >smitty  or >sam for hp-ux.

in most cases, i work as <SID>adm, but some commands you must run as root.

the commands i use zb. for aix are:

if you want to know what a unix-command will do, type: man <unixcommand>

cd

pwd

uname -a

ls -latr

rm

vi

view

more

cat

clear

grep -i -n TEXT file

find -name TEXT -print

reboot -r now

shutdown -r now

netstat -an | grep LISTEN

check filesystem commands:

df -k|h

ln -s

fuser

alias

lsvg

lspv

lslv

chfs

chmod

mv

topas

swapon

ping

nslookup

traceroute

sap commands, use as sidadm:

cdexe

cdpro

R3trans -d|-v

tp

in exe-dir >disp+work -v | more

>ps -ef | grep -i ms.

startsap | stopsap r3,tp,j2ee

and much more!!!!

br

julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhakar,

Answer of your question may vary according to your responsiblity in organization . If your organization has seperate SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR , then u need to some basic commands of AIX i.e. df , ls , lparstat etc ., and some SAP OS level command like tp , startsap , R3trans , tnsping etc.

But if you are the SYSTEM administrator and BASIS administrator , then you need to understand the OS in details , u have to learn commands like mount , vmstat , rmsock , netstat , some network related command ,some memory related , some kernel related and many more ..

Regards

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhakar,

From my experience, here are the main unix commands you should be well versed with to work effectively -

ls, rm, df, du, grep, find, sudo  and vi editor.

These are the MAIN commands which are used with their "options" in our day to day work. For eg. to list content of directory, you need to use "ls -ltr" where after "-" sign, we are giving options.

While working in unix, which ever command u want to learn about, just do "man <command>" and you will get the complete documentation but in my practical experience, commands listed are the most used ones, so just learn about them and master them. More you will learn with hands on.

Hope this answers your queries.

Regards,

Ashutosh Shukla

former_member191911
Contributor
0 Kudos

As a basis consultant you have to do a LOT of reading, seaching the internet, forums, documentation, etc..

I think this question has already been asked 100 times. So my personal tip would be to investigate the power of the search function within the SCN forum..

Kr. Mark