Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User specific Storage category issue

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

hi Everyone,

I am having an issue related to User specific storage. The User specific storage location option is working fine as in - When a new document is being created by the User, and clicked on Check-in icon, it selects the Default storage category defined for the profile in 'Define Profile' step in DMS customizing. But, the issue here is - the system stores the documents in the Storage path specified in 'Data Carrier' PC path (in trx DC20), regardless of the user logged in.

Ex: We would like to have User1 - Storage location / Content repository (Path defined in OAC0 and assigned to a Storage category1 in OACT).

User2 - Storage location / Content repository (Path defined in OAC0 and assigned to a Storage category2 in OACT).

Q-1: We just have a storage path for Data carrier type PC in DC20 and not the user assigned PC exactly. Is this where I need to assign the desired Storage path specific to User's PC to make the Storage functionality work properly?.

Q-2: If the storage process picks the path specified in Data carrier (PC) trx: DC20 - regardless of 'Storage Category' selected while processing the document in CV01/02N, then we can't use the purpose for which the 'Storage Category' is created (Ex: Separate storage areas for Business transaction documents, User Training Manuals, Technical specifications, Drawings etc..).

Note: Please note that the following values have been given for the below parameters in OAC0 for all the Content repositories:

Document Area: DMS Document Management system

Storage Type: 03 SAP System Database

Rep. Sub-Type: Normal

Version No: 0045

Contents Table: DMS_CONT1_CD1

Please clarify.

-Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you want to have a user-dependent path where the local file copies will be placed, you can for example remove the maintained path for frontend type 'PC' in transaction DC20. Without a path maintained there the system will place the file in the users temp directory.

Another proposal would be to create another frontend type and then split up your users to the different frontend types. This could also help to control where the file is copied to on basis of the PCs hostname.

One further possibility would be to use the BADI DOCUMENT_STORAGE01 with the method 'CHECKOUT'. Here you should be able to influence the path for the local copy as well.

Best regards,

Christoph

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Christoph,

Thanks for your response!. I believe what you mentioned should suffice our User specific storage location requirement. I will check and revert on how it works here.

The below may be bit deviant to the actual post, but is related to what I intended would work for Storage category also. The Original file is getting saved in the Data carrier (PC) path, regardless of Storage category selected during CV01N. A screenshot of what we are trying to do at Storage category level is attached. The requirement is - the client wants documents to be stored in SEPARATE folders based on the actual document usage at client location.

SAP states as below in the document information for Storage category:

You can define the following categories for the storage system AR1 (archive 1), storage type HTTP content server:

• AR1-1 (general information)
  • AR1-2 (training documents)
  • AR1-3 (test instructions)

When you want to store an original application file while processing the document info record you can choose the storage category.

I was thinking there’s a way to store the documents with different destination path for each of the above - either as User specific / based on storage content requirement. This will help the client to segregate storage path for documents based on individual dept. / Document category. But, from what I observe, there don’t seem to be an advantage of using Storage category, Other that just the benefit of storing documents under a separate storage category name.  Please let me know if I am miss interpreting the actual benefit of Storage category functionality.

Please advise.