Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to validate record counts

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

As we are provisioning data from SAP into HANA I'm comparing record counts to assure things have loaded correctly.  In most cases I can run an SQL statement in HANA to count the records.  Then I use SE16 in SAP and click 'Number of entries' to get a record count.  This has been working great, however I can't find a way to get a record count in SAP for BSEG because it's such a huge table it times out each time I run in SAP even when selecting multiple criteria such as fiscal date etc. 

I'm interested in hearing your methods for validating record counts in HANA vs SAP to ensure everything loaded correctly. Especially large tables like BSEG.

Thanks for any tips!

-Patrick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would say you could run a count on the RDBMS on top of which ERP was installed, but this won't work for BSEG, since it's a cluster table...

For it, I'm not sure you have much options unless letting it run for a while or perform this count in a ABAP report. You can search for "row count BSEG" or "row count cluster tables" and you should find several tips on how to accomplish that in the regular ABAP spaces, since this is a common problem not just for HANA related scenarios.

For example: has a suggestion of ABAP code for that count that might work for you.

Best regards,

Henrique.

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help everyone.  I am pursuing the ABAP route.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

A quicker way to see the record count of a table loaded into HANA would be to right click on the table > Open definition > and then click on the tab called "Runtime Information". Records in the table are then listed.

You can then quickly compare this to the source system table using transaction SE16 selecting the table and then choosing the number of entried tab at the top to get a count. While for large tables this might take some time it will usually always retrieve a count if you let it run. Sometimes SE16N is more accomodating is you get issues with SE16.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Danielle

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Danielle, I appreciate your comments however my question is how can I count in SAP other than SE16 because it indeed times out for me.  I do not have any problems getting counts in HANA.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

If youre after source system row count options best to have a quick look at the ABAP SAP threads etc as I know you can create a background program to do this. Alternatively it looks like you should be able to use the following method discussed here: http://scn.sap.com/thread/1521284

Start Transaction DB05, enter your table name, press F8 for execution which is done by default in background.

The result has what you need:

Date/time of analysis:                  04.11.2009  11:53:02 
Analyzed table:                         T100T 
Total number of rows:                         10.664 rows 
Requested bytes per row:                          81 bytes per row 
Requested bytes to be buffered 100%:         863.784 bytes 
Current buffering mode:                   single key bufferi

Kind regards,

Danielle

Former Member
0 Kudos

FYI, these numbers are estimates from database statistics (which were run at the "date/time of analysis") - not actual row counts.

Cheers,

David.