cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SolMan 7.1 SR1 SPS Patch with SUM Removing saposcol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

I installed Solution Manager 7.1 SR1. Now I’m applying the SPS06 stack. In section 5.19 "Isolating the Primary Application Server Instance" of the Software Update Manager (SUM) guide I can’t tell what they are asking me to do. My understanding is Solution Manager 7.1 is on NW 7.02, right? So I should follow the sections for “SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2” below. I copied out of the SUM guide:

=============================================================
5.19 "Isolating the Primary Application Server Instance"
You need to isolate the primary application server instance so that only the Software Update Manager can work with the system during downtime. This means that you can use the primary application server instance exclusively for the update. The Software Update Manager asks you to isolate the primary application server instance when downtime begins.During downtime, all users must have logged off the system. You can use transaction SM02 to inform the users who are logged on to the system.
Procedure
1.Stop and delete saposcol as user root:

[ Only valid for: Target Release = SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP1;SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2;SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP3 ]
cd /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run
[ End of: Target Release = SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP1;SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2;SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP3 ]

[ Only valid for: Target Release = SAP NetWeaver 7.1;SAP NetWeaver 7.3 ]
cd /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe
[ End of: Target Release = SAP NetWeaver 7.1;SAP NetWeaver 7.3 ]

./saposcol –k
./saposcol –d
Collector> leave
rm saposcol

=============================================================

So according to the guide I should:
cd /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run
and execute the following:
./saposcol –k
./saposcol –d
Collector> leave
rm saposcol

However, none of these commands will work because there is no saposcol in that directory. There is however a saposcol in the /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe (The NW 7.3 relevant directory) and it is running.

So should I ignore the guide and instead stop and remove saposcol from the host agent directory, like they say for NW 7.3, or do nothing?

Thanks all,
David

P.S. If you can answer this, stay tuned; I got more points to award for the icmbnd question I’ll post after the patching.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

For Earlier versions .. the SAPOSCOL was there and kernel and to get the OS related data.. you need to run the service SAPOSCOL from the kernel directory.

But from SAP NW new releases, it is replaced by SAP Hostagent and Hostcontrol services.

So please check if the host* services are running in your system. If yes, You can ignore the above to remove the SAPOSCOL services from kernel.

Please do not remove any files from /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jagadish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm having some other issues with the Support Packs so don't want to close this until that's done so I'll mark as Helpful Answer for now. Thanks.

David

Answers (0)