cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPHOSTAGENT saposcol or Kernel saposcol ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We are running NW 7.02 and our Kernel is 720.

I noticed that “saposcol” is not running correctly because I do not see data being displayed in ST06, or the process running, on one of four Application Server.  Looking at where “saposcol” is located on our Application Servers I see that it is located in “/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/” on three of the four Application Servers.  The Application Server that is not running “saposcol” seems to have it located in “/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/”.

It almost looks as if “SAPHOSTAGENT” has been installed on the other Application Servers, the other doesn’t have it installed. 

01   01)     When “SAPHOSTAGENT” is installed manually, does the “saposcol”  that comes with it take the place of the old “saposcol” located in “/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/”?  Can they both exist on the Application Server at the same time?

02   02)     When “SAPHOSTAGENT” is installed manually, do you install it on all Application Servers?

03   03)     When installing Enhancement / Support Packs, is “SAPHOSTAGENT” somehow installed also?

Help will be much appreciated. 

Thanks so much experts

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

01)     When “SAPHOSTAGENT” is installed manually, does the “saposcol”  that comes with it take the place of the old “saposcol” located in “/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/”?  Can they both exist on the Application Server at the same time?

both can exist in the same time but only one run at a time (in newer installation, it should not exist at all at  “/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/). saphostagent should run the saposcol, it should be located at /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol. 

if you are using unix x86_64 system the autostartup script should be located at /etc/init.d/sapinit

something like this should exists when you check the task:

/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

restart the saphostagent to run saposcol again.

02)     When “SAPHOSTAGENT” is installed manually, do you install it on all Application Servers?

Yes.

03)     When installing Enhancement / Support Packs, is “SAPHOSTAGENT” somehow installed also?

Support Package update (SPAM) cannot install saphostagent. Actually when I went through my EHPIs, it has been installed so I do not know for sure. But when I did my upgrade from 4.7 to ECC, the SAPup instructed to install SAPHOSTAGENT manually.

you can check this for more information

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/en/48/c6f9627a004da5e10000000a421937/content.htm

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not know who, or when,  SAPHOSTAGENT was installed on some of our servers.  I am trying to make each server the same with only one SAPOSCOL running.

For example, one of my servers has SAPOSCOL loaded at the locations below :

“/sapmnt/S01/exe/saposcol”

“/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol”

“/usr/sap/tmp/hostagent/saposcol”

01)Would the “/sapmnt/S01/exe/saposcol” that once came with the Kernel?  We upgrade our Kernel from 701 to 720 prior to applying 7.02 Ehp.  I was guessing that this simply was a remaining piece of the Kernel, and that the 7.02 Ehp installed the SAPHOSTAGENT.  What do you think?

02)The install instructions for SAPHOSTAGENT also tells to load SAPHOSTCONTROL.  Does the SAPHOSTAGENT install create the “hostagent” directory and installs the executables there and is the same true for SAPHOSTCONTROL creating the “hostctrl/exe” directory and executables?

03)If the above is true, would I need to remove anything from the Kernel before installing SAPHOSTAGENT given that it looks like saposcol already exists in the Kernel.  I know Henry Hsu said it could exist there also.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not know who, or when,  SAPHOSTAGENT was installed on some of our servers.  I am trying to make each server the same with only one SAPOSCOL running.

wild guess, someone done upgrade/ehpi/sum in central instance, when it instructed to install saphostagent, he did it in CI only and left out database server and any additional application servers.

01)Would the “/sapmnt/S01/exe/saposcol” that once came with the Kernel?  We upgrade our Kernel from 701 to 720 prior to applying 7.02 Ehp.  I was guessing that this simply was a remaining piece of the Kernel, and that the 7.02 Ehp installed the SAPHOSTAGENT.  What do you think?

It would appear someone put it back when noticed saposcol was missing.

After doing Ehpi or SAPup ( I think SUM too), the saposcol should be missing from your exe directory when these tools replace exe from exe_new. This is one of the reason it suggest you to install saphostagent.

. 02)The install instructions for SAPHOSTAGENT also tells to load SAPHOSTCONTROL.  Does the SAPHOSTAGENT install create the “hostagent” directory and installs the executables there and is the same true for SAPHOSTCONTROL creating the “hostctrl/exe” directory and executables?

Yes. it will create those directories & executable, Plus add entries in startup script,

03)If the above is true, would I need to remove anything from the Kernel before installing SAPHOSTAGENT given that it looks like saposcol already exists in the Kernel.  I know Henry Hsu said it could exist there also.

Rename saposcol instead of delete to prevent it being run accidentally. install saphostagent & verify if it is working normally(ST06, etc). do it in your test environment first.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey there Henry,

Thanks so much for the valuable information. 

01)If I were to uninstall SAPHOSTAGENT will it also uninstall SAPHOSTCONTROL ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also I was wondering if there are any Default, or Instance, Profile parameters that need to be changed for the install to work properly?  I had SLD and Solution Manager in mind.  Once I install it, I need to register it with SLD.  I thought there might be some parameters that need changing.

Can you install SAPHOSTAGENT without restarting R3?

You guys are awesome.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It looks like the directory “/usr/sap/tmp/hostagent/” was simply the directory my predecessors downloaded the SAPHOSTAGENT.SAR file to. 

Once I ran the “saphostexec –install” command from the directory “/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/” it uninstalled the SAPHOSTCONTROL directories.  I deleted the “/usr/sap/tmp/hostagent/” directory and downloaded the most recent version of SAPHOSTAGENT. 

When I installed it, the directory “/usr/sap/hostctrl/” and all the “exe” and “work” directories were created under it.

01)Do I need to restart the R3 instance, it doesn’t seem like I need to.  I see the information in ST06 now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

01)If I were to uninstall SAPHOSTAGENT will it also uninstall SAPHOSTCONTROL ?

yes if you are talking about saphostexec here.

Also I was wondering if there are any Default,y? or Instance, Profile parameters that need to be changed for the install to work properly?

From my previous setup. no netweaver target instance profile need to be changed manually for saphostagent to run properly.

It looks like the directory “/usr/sap/tmp/hostagent/” was simply the directory my predecessors downloaded the SAPHOSTAGENT.SAR file to. 

most probably. what we need here is only /usr/sap/tmp (saposol work directory)

01)Do I need to restart the R3 instance, it doesn’t seem like I need to.  I see the information in ST06 now.

Afaik, no. At test environment check another features like monitoring and other that will be used in production scenario to be more sure of it.

Read following notes for extra references.

1365123, 1031096.

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before uploading new oscol version goto /usr/sap/DVEBMGS00/exe and do ps -ef | grep saposcol. If u dont find saposcol there then only u have to upload new oscol. else check saposcol has permissions 755.

Regards

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the comments.  I will try the note suggest " 710975" first and let you all know how things go.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

Check also sapnote 1031096 - Installing Package SAPHOSTAGENT.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Martina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Michel

Their is no SAPOSCOL file for kernel 720 in /sapmnt/SID/exe directory

SAPOSCOl exist at only one location that too in hostcontrol exe folder.

After 720 upgrade SAPOSCOL exist in /sapmnt/SID/exe that means kernel upgrade is not done properly.

u should install SAPHOST agent in all application server.

First you check the running OS coll version.

do like below

goto  usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/

type>> saposcol -d

next type>> start

now check in ST06

Thanks

Mahipal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Sorry to disturb the thread.

MY ST06 looks like this

Thu Sep 27 12:56:43 2012

interval                                           60                                  sec.

WINDOWS NT 6.0.6002 SP 2 H1W1CFY91A 2X AMD64 LEVEL

Collector Version:                                 COLL 21.02 720 - 21.11 NT 10/01/13

Date/time                                          27.09.2012                         12:58:11

Start of Collector                                 Tue Sep 11 13:29:26 2012#

Status report

Is this SAPHostAgent or SAPOSCOL ?

Our kernel runs ok in 720. NW 70 system running on 720 kernel.

Kind Regards,

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jacob

Change the interval to 10 sec to change it

go to

>>saposcol -d

>>interval 10

now go to st06 and check for every 10 sec data will be refreshed

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mahipal,

Thanks. I dont really now whether mine is a SAPOSCOL or SAPHOSTAGENT.

I have not installed SAPHOSTAGENT Manually.

From the given information below  Can you please tell me if it is SAPOSCOL or SAPHOSTAGENT?

MY ST06 looks like this

Thu Sep 27 12:56:43 2012

interval                                           60                                  sec.

WINDOWS NT 6.0.6002 SP 2 H1W1CFY91A 2X AMD64 LEVEL

Collector Version:                                 COLL 21.02 720 - 21.11 NT 10/01/13

Date/time                                          27.09.2012                         12:58:11

Start of Collector                                 Tue Sep 11 13:29:26 2012#

Status report

Former Member
0 Kudos

open your task manager, find saposcol, then right click -> choose open file location

run above command to get full path to your saposcol

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

please check on note  710975 and download the mentioned saphostagent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

1) In new installation of NW 7.02 , saposcol comes with SAPHOSTAGENT. you won't find saposcol in run directory  .  but if its upgradation , then you may find "saposcol" in run directory n hostcntrl directory .

Both can exist at same time , but please make sure that only one saposcol process is running , n that should be new one through "hostcntrl" lcoation .

2) yes, you have to install on each application server.

3) no , you have install SAPHOSTAGENT manually ,,