cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy a standard dynpro to customize it

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good afternoon,

I am not very experienced in working with Dynpro-Components, so I have a litte question.

I just want to customize the ESH_SEARCH_INPUT_UI Dynpro-Application, which is given by SAP.

What would be the best way to customize it? Do I have to copy the whole package callled S_ESH_UI_SEARCH_UI and how can I copy it to my own package?

I would be gratefull, if anyone could give me a step-by-step guidance for that.

Kind regards,

Tom Jefferson

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your input. What I have done is, that we got a WebUI Component as a custom search GUI, which - in this case - is currently only linked to the ES-Dynpro (sap/es/search) in its whole functionality.

What we are really looking for is to have a webUI-(BSP-)component with a unified and modifiable design. Just to not reinvent the wheel and not to change something in the standard component, we got this thought of copying the dynpro to customize its design and its technical functions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another question: since I'm not a WebDynpro expert - do you have any good walkthroughs for customizing the WebDynpro? E.g. adding/removing a field oder a button or preselect categories in a dropdown etc.

Best regards,

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a very generic search help WDA application (enterprise search). While some WDA applications could be copied (especially if they are simple), you should NEVER copy this one. Look into how you can use it. There is a whole bunch of configuration transactions you can use to configure this application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

what do you mean by ESH_SEARCH_INPUT_UI Dynpro-Application ? Do you need to add a field or screen or validation. Please let us know the requirement so that we can guide you.

In most cases WDA has lots's of enhancements and screen exits etc which can help in getting your requirement done. There is no need to copy the package etc.

best regards,

swanand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

I don't know much about WD myself, but past experience in the ABAP world says that it is usually better to perform a (well thought-through) modification - provided explicit and/or implicit enhancements don't do the job - than copying entire programs, function groups, classes, never mind entire packages.

The reason is simple: if in some future release SAP substantially changes the way to do things in that area, your copy will stay behind, while a modification can usually be reapplied with some minor changes, if any. And a copy would have to be re-tested much more thoroughly after every patch, to make sure it still works without any new side-effects.

Best regards

Rainer