0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am relatively new to PI and my approach to implementing scenarios is:

- Analyse interface necessities inbound and outbound of SAP ERP;

- Validate third party requirements (communication supported);

- Search for Business Objects in ES Workplace;

- If found import the corresponding ESR content to PI if not construct;

- etc...

My question is, when I find an appropriate integration scenario in ES Workplace what should I do after the import?

1 - Use the standard imported objects and construct the mappings and other objects;

2 - Copy the standard imported objects to a defined Software component version and namespace.

With 1 the interfaces in SAP ERP all already generated and coded but the objects are in a large bundle and it's difficult to understand what is used. With 2 the objects can be freely changed but in ERP the code needs to be copied and maintained.

What is the best approach?

Regards,

Sérgio

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergio,

The reason option 2 is adopted anywhere would probably be because of the initial steep learning curve when starting out with SAP Enterprise Services. But once you get the hang of it once, you really start seeing the bigger picture.

However, option 1 (sticking to SAP standard) in my mind is undoubtedly the better option, especially if it meets your requirements out of the box (or even if there custom enhancements required).After all, why re-invent the wheel?

You have to consider what is best for the environment you are in in terms of TCO:

- Cost of maintenance efforts going forward (Option 2 TCO is much higher than Option 1 TCO).

- If you choose option 1, you align with SAP Standard and benefit from any enhancements SAP makes with future upgrades. Option 2 doesn't allow this, manual intervention will be required.

- If you choose option 2, you have less of a leg to stand on in terms of SAP Support.

I can list a few more but there are definitely lots more pro's to adopting the standard approach and enhancing it where there are additional requirements.

Regards, Trevor

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sergio,

You have two options

1)Developing an interface by own by understing your requirement and achieving your bussiness requirement, this is very common way of developing integration.

or

identifyting the predefined content in ES work place and locate enterprise service which serves your bussines requirement, this case you need to have fair understajding about enter prise services and how functaionality was implemnented.

you can perform search in ES work place to find relevent Enter prise services and read documentation about enter prise service.

this required some efforts and skills about ESOA.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergio,

I've always developed my own scv, namespaces, interfaces and so on... usually the project requirements are quite specific, and the develope and support to that interfaces is much easier.

cheers,

Edu