Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change hostname on Solaris 10

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have installed Solution Manager 4.0 on our Solaris server, and now we wish to change the hostname of the server running SolMan.

I have looked at notes 757692 and 8307, but would like to know if anyone has followed this procedure and succeeded with it.

This is a very recent Solution Manager installation and has yet to be taken into use.. Is is better to reinstall it, or to change hostname?

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

These are the steps we followed for renaming hostname:

1. Change the hostname of the shell environment files

Rename the sap environmental variable files located in the home directory of the users

<sid>adm and ora<sid> which contains the hostname.

mv .dbenv_oldhostname.csh .dbenv_newhostname.csh

mv .dbsrc_oldhostname.csh .dbsrc_newhostname.csh

mv .sapenv_oldhostname.csh .sapenv_newhostname.csh

mv .sapsrc_oldhostname.csh .sapsrc_newhostname.csh

2. Change the hostname in the files listener.ora,tnsnames.ora

Available in /oracle/<SID>/102_64/network/admin

3. Rename the startup and instance profiles with the new hostname

cd /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile

mv <SID>_DVEBMGS<XX>_<oldhostname> SP1_DVEBMGS01_<newhostname>

mv START_DVEBMGS<XX<_<oldhostname> START_DVEBMGS<XX>_<newhostname>

4. Change the hostname in default and instance profile

Replace the old hostname entries in the DEFAULT.PFL and DVEBMGS<XX>_hostanme file

5. Change the /etc/hosts entry

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

[...]

> This is a very recent Solution Manager installation

> and has yet to be taken into use.. Is is better to

> reinstall it, or to change hostname?

[...]

If you do that, be aware of the fact, that the J2EE engine (if installed) will have problems sooner or later due to the fact that in many property sheets the hostname will be stored during installation, all applications using those propertysheets will no more work. This is especially true for the Template Installers (CTC), who won't work any more.

--

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thomas,

please note that I misread your original question.. I thought you were only changing IP address... you are changing hostname....

sorry for wrong answer I provided.

georg_leffers
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

have you also thought about using a virtual hostname for your installation. Using virtual hostnames is a usual method in the SAP Adaptive Computing environment and gives additional flexibility to your system landscape.

You can find more information about AC here in SDN

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/049286fc-0701-0010-33ae-a875922e7288">Adaptive Computing - Frequently Asked Questions</a>

Regards, Georg

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I did the same work on gool old Solaris 8.0.

This is not a fuss, just stop SAP+DB, change IP at OS level and should be all you need to do, unless you hardcoded the IP address in some files on in SAP (such as SM59)