cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebIntelligence and the DSL Bridge Service

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am in the process of putting together a BI 4 environment with the intention of using WebIntelligence employing unx universes built on OLTP and relational databases. My question is; Do I need to employ a DSL Bridge Service? Documentation  seems to indicate that the DSL Bridge Service is used in conjunction with OLAP of BW databases.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ajay,

thanks for the quick response. I understand the need for seperate APS's in relation to the groups of services and services being used.

What I was asking was do I need an instance of the DSL Bridge Service in the set-up I described?

I was under the impression this service should only be used if a OLAP data source was involved, as I do not intend using such a data source, I did not intend creating a DSL Bridge Service.

Is my understanding of DSL Bridge Service being used in solely in interactions with OLAP, BW and Btec data sources wrong?

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ian,

If you do not intent to use OLAP, you best min choice is still to split the APS into 3-APS.  DSL is used by WebI and help performance.  Lot of the WebI related JAVA crashes happen when Search Server and DSL are running on the same APS, that's why they MUST be separated.

- APS_1_Server Server

- APS_2_LCM & DSL

- APS_3_Other Core Modules.

Regards,

Ajay

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ian,

Two question to ask yourself,

1. Are you using SAP Related Data Sources (BICS)?

2. Are you WebI as your prime reporting tool?

Then you MUST Split.  The only time you can stay with the default settings is if are NOT using SAP BICS as a data source.

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ajay,

1. None of the data sources are SAP related

2. WebIntelligenve will be the prime reporting tool.

As non of the data sources are OLAP or SAP does that mean I do not need a DSL?

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ian,

Since you don't any SAP BICS or OLAP related sources the you don't need split DSL Bridge but you still need to split Search Server. 

You still need to create 2-APS min:

- APS_1_Search Server ONLY

- APS_2_All other servers with NO Search

If you start having performance related issues with WebI then split DSL Bridge otherwise the the 2-split will work best for your type data sources.

Regards,

Ajay

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ian,

You will need to STOP & DISABLE the original Adaptive Processing Server.  Depending on your usage and hardware memory you will need to split the APS, min settings:

- Create Server Server

- Create DSL Bridge Server

- Create OLAP / BEx Server

- Others depending on usage and memory.

Refer to SAP NOTE # 1694041

Regards,

Ajay