cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to add complete oracle datafiles to a running database ?

ahmed_ibrahim2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts ;

I install SCM server with Oracle + Windows Server 2008 R2 under Hyper-v since 9 Month ,

actually i used this server for configurations  test purpose, Unfortunately the last Backup for my system was since 3 Month ,

by mistake the VHD (virtual disk "complete server" ) has been deleted and because of the big size of VHD file there is no data Recovery softwares  able to recover A complete VHD file , But i able to recover A Complete Oracle Data Files

Actually I need a complete Procedure for restoring my SCM system by Adding these recovered Data files to the last backup i have ,

i tried to replace the recovered datafiles with the Existing  Datafiles  after stopping the data base and stopping oracle services , but actually the system give me those errors when i try to start the database 

----

ORA-27048: skgfifi: file header information is invalid

OSD-04001: invalid logical block size

kindly i need your Experiences as soon as possible

Best Regards

Ahmed

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

Including Michael's suggestions, follow the system copy guide, below;

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000393112010E.pdf

You can find the detailed database copy procedure, in the document. Please note that the restore the database running under SCM system will not be good enough, because SCM is running on MaxDB (VSR optimizer), also. So, you need to restore Oracle as well as MaxDB to the target system.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

ahmed_ibrahim2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Orkun

thanks too much

Orkun what i have now

1 - recovered data base (sapdata 1-9 ,
     OriglogA,OrigLogB,MirrLogA,MirrLogB,oraflash,sapcheck,sapreorg,saptrace) which is up to date

2 - running database (the complete one ) which is my backup since three months

just i need to replace the recovered sapdata 1-9 with the Existing  sapdata 1-9 .. is it possible without using system copy

if yes kindly send me the procedure or the steps ,

also if i should use system copy kindly send me the steps

Best Regards

Ahmed

Former Member
0 Kudos

What kind of backup type you have? Offline or online. I discussed the thread previously; http://scn.sap.com/thread/1972852

If it is the offline backup, restore sapdata* files into the correct locations. Then, create the control files. After that you can open the database. If it is an offline backup, you can skip step 9 and 10.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

ahmed_ibrahim2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi  Orkun ,

thanks again

let me explain again the situation because may be the terms  was used  not correct 100%

first, I was installed SCM server with Oracle + Windows Server2008 R2 under Hyper-v since 9 Month it means the server is VHD file,  the VHD file was copied on external HD  "so  this is my backup" ,

during three month earlier, i use this system for configurations, customization and  test purpose, Unfortunately by mistake the VHD file (virtual disk "complete server" ) has been deleted and because of the big size of VHD file there is no data Recovery softwares  able to recover A complete VHD file , But i able to recover A Complete Oracle Datafiles

so now

i have old VHD File which is my backup .

and the  oracle datafiles which is up to deletion day(which was recovered by data recovery software)

just i need to replace  the oracle datafiles  in old Backup with the recovered datafiles which is up to deletion day

BEST REGARDS,

Ahmed

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

ok, so you copy the VHD to the Hyper-V server, and replace the scratched VHD there.

You now have a virtual server which is 9 months old.

You start up the 9 month old system to verify that everything is working properly.

Get yourself a valid "CREATE CONTROLFILE ..." statement by issuing

ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;

Shut down SAP and Oracle on this server.

And on this system you like to replace the datafiles with those that have been "backed up"

an a not yet further specified way?

Humm,

if that was a real backup in terms of oracle language -> Restore it and you are done.

if that was simply a copy of files while the DB was running -> Busted, this will never work at all.

if this was simply a copy of files while the DB was down

-> you might have luck with trying this:

Copy back the datafiles that had been taken in non-specified way.

Adjust the CREATE CONTROLFILE statement generated before, to include all datafiles

that you have "restored".

Startup mount the DB

Execute the CREATE CONTROLFILE ...

If it got created ok

OPEN RESETLOGS the DB.

WARNING, trying the above procedure may be disruptive to the datafiles in case you need a second try, since the header blocks of the datafiles might be rewritten. Since you seem to be short on storage, I like to enhance, that you should keep copys of your "backup" files (whatever they are) elsewhere for second attempts. Same thing for the VHD copy.

But I am still not sure, if the

"oracle datafiles which is up to deletion day(which was recovered by data recovery software)"

is really something usefull, because if taken, while the DB was running, you can only use them, if the DB was in backup mode AND you have the redologs in addition.

Volker

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member227150
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

Which Oracle version are u using?

Regards,

Gaurav

ahmed_ibrahim2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav ;

I use Oracle 11.2.0.2  MAXDB7.6 , SCM NW 7.0

thanks Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

- read and understand the documentation on backup/restore/recovery (optionally visit a class or get external help)

- create a backup concept (backup schedule, retention period, disaster recovery)

- test, test, test

You cannot simply put a file somewhere in Oracle! What exactly did you do here?

i tried to replace the recovered datafiles with the Existing  Datafiles  after stopping the data base

Cheers Michael

ahmed_ibrahim2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael ,

actually Michel i don't know the correct procedure to restore the oracle datafiles which was recovered by using some data recovery tools (not oracle tools)  also i don't know so much in backup area  , i already started to read some docs but Actually the docs requires more time .

i replace the recovered datafiles with the Existing  Datafiles at OS level after stopping all services and database , after that  tried to start the oracle services and start the database it give me some errors ... that's all

so kindly give me at least the steps how add the new datafiles (or the complete database ) , which is up to date instead of the running one