Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleanup RMAN Backup catalog with brtools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi techies,

i have the following Problem:

I'm running an SAP System on Windows 2008 and Oracle 11g DB. I'm planning backups with DB13 and everything is fine for ABAP and JAVA instance in Double Stack.

The JAVA Instance got an Archiver Stuck due to inproperly configuration of Fast Recovery Area. The Logs were correctly saved and deleted by brtools but the USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST Parameter in inisid.ora was up to 100% full. On OS-Level all old redo-logs were deleted but oracle still things they exist.

I found out through

RMAN>crosscheck archivelog all;

this shows me that RMAN still saves all Logs into an Catalog but cannot validate them,RMAN does not delete them from catalog if they got deleted by brtools trough db13. This leads to an Archive Stuck with an empty oraflash directory if you use FRA, very funny.

i can delete this unused Logs from catalog with the following command:

RMAN>delete expired archivelog all;

My ABAP Instance does not use FRA, but RMAN saves an catalog here too. This means DB13 saves and deletes all Archive Logs without any problem, but RMAN writes a catalog of all ever-used Archivelogs, is this a normal behavior? How can i tell RMAN to not do this?

If you have an idea or need more information, please tell me.

Best Regards

Phil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Phil,

RMAN does not "save" the log entries in the catalog (by the way it is stored in the control file in a SAP standard scenario, you need to be careful with the word "catalog", because of you can have two kind of "catalogs" in a RMAN environment).

The entries are created by an archive log switch and they can have several different states (AVAILABLE, EXPIRED, and so on - for details please check the documentation http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25513/dynviews_1016.htm#REFRN30011)

These entries are kept as long as the retention period of the init parameter CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME is not reached or there is still enough space in the control file afterwards or you perform manual activities.

If you backup (and delete) your archive logs with RMAN and BR*Tools, the status is normally updated and it works as designed, but if you remove your archive log files on OS level (without RMAN) the control file entries are not updated and so RMAN still thinks that these files must be available.

There is a hidden option for the BR*Tools (option -RCC with parameters cleanup_disk_archive / cleanup_disk_backup) which performs such crosschecks on regulars basis.

However everything is fine and working normal :-))

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for answering late but thank you! you helped me very much.

Answers (0)