cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer specific configuration

0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need your help, or at least your point of view, to understand which could be the best approach to create a customer specific configuration.

In our VC, we have already created all the characteristics and values we need, along with all the other features (dependencies, tables, etc.); everything works in the right way, allowing to configure our product and select all the options required.

Now, we'd like to create a "preset", based on a char representing the customer, that triggers all the standard chars and values for that particular customer: this means to default some values, restrict others to specific values or ranges, allowing the user to make some selections, or input missing data.

Actually, we are configuring the top level and seven second-level finished components, and we are evaluating to configure also raw third-level raw components; we have more than 250 characteristics, 3100 dependencies and nearly 600 tabels.

We are aware that to create defaults and restrict selections, the quickest way wolud be to write/modify dependencies; but it will require a lot of time and maintenance, in this situation. Consider also that if it will work for a customer, we'll have to create something similar for other customers.

Has anyone else faced a similar issue? How could it be managed?

Any help or idea would be welcome.

Thank you,

Alessio

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alessio,

HOpe to understand your query. Best is to make use of constraint especially if you are going to work with different levels and large data. Constraints are the best for performance reasons too.

Regards

Amber

0 Kudos

Hello Amber,

Thank you for your answer. We've never used constraints (both me and my colleague have become modelers only four months ago), but the pros your are pointing out are exactly what we need: a light and performing approach to manage the large amount of data we have.

We'll try to understand how to work with this feature, and eventaully come back for further information.

Regards,

Alessio

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alessio Tartara,

Options:

1) use Constraints as suggested by Amber

2) Variants tables with Customer as key field to refer values for characterstic at all levels of configuration.

3) why dont you use Material Variants , configured specificaly for your customers.

Thanks

Ritesh

0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

Thank you for your suggestions.

We already evaluated point 2, but it seems to have a large impact, adding a lot of data.

Could you give me deeper explanations about point 3? Based on what I read (and if I've understood everything), Material Variants are a more restrictive approach, allowing to assign specific values for each char of the Variant. It will force us to create a Variant for each different combination of dimentions, working pressure, working temperatures, etc. But what about if we need to maintain a range of choices? I mean: we could restrict the selectable values based on customer specifications, but we need to keep some different options for each char. Could it be done using Material Variants?

Thank you,

Alessio

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

well with this explanation , MV doesnt suits you.

with MV there will be a fix value or a open choice to enter one of the available value of a characterstic.

you can restrict choices buy writting few more dependencies but it will result in lots of work.

so the only choice remain is use of Constraints.

Thanks

Ritesh

0 Kudos

Thank you. This means I'll have to go deeper about Constraints...

Regards,

Alessio