Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPCA and RBPD - Realtime feedback

former_member188058
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are trying to implement BPCA and RBPD for our client with intention of helping in Regression testing and documentation update for business processes. I have gone through various materials available and have a good feeling abuot it suitability to customer requirements.

May i request all you gurus to help me your realtime implementation feedback in terms of issues faced, Pros and Cons of BPCA and RBPD for your experience.

Appreciate your quick respsone.

Regards,

Imran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imran,

Already a live discussion going on regarding this topic, had initiated in twitter,

Didnt get enoigh respose for real time feedback. pls review here Michael Pytel on Solution Manager 7.1, testing, BPCA & TBOMs (Q&A transcript) | Amy Thistle | Ins...

I had already build up prototype, if you asked my view

Pros for BPCA

BPCA it is really wonderful tool, helped to identify the affected Busines process and the objects in the transactions clearly even before the upgrade.

later you can decide whether you can for upgrade r nt, in 7.1 you can even choose solution, it is much enhaced

Of course, it provide you the automated test plan too..

chk this also

Cons for BPCA

- You must assign tcode for all the processes, must record TBOM for all transaction and also assign test plan also in solar01, then only it is efficient

- Other than that I felt that you also require support from developer and tester before taking decision

For RBPD

I felt that, it is good for the ppl who currrently dont have anything in solar01, wanted to start fresh implemenation project.

If you consider our case, we have already running sap solutions, but nt documented, in such cases the modeling of the business process via RBPD nt posible, needs to adjust manually.

Again if you have more number f custom program, this also needs to be adjusted manually, can get little help from sda, but nt much,

chk out more here

Please check.

Thanks.

Jansi

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imran,

In Addition to above experts reviews plz also read some Comparisions of Solman BPCA and Panaya tool from this link. It will give you extended idea on BPCA vs Panaya.

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/solution-manager/blog/2011/10/24/upgrade-impact-analy...

Regards,

Vinod Palli

former_member188058
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jansi, Tom & Jagadish,

Thanks for your feedback. Really helpful insights.

Regards,

Imran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imran,

Change the thread as Answered if you feel your queries are answered.

THanks,

Jagadish.

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Imran

RBPD is good to have a start point -> it's pretty good at pulling "which transactions etc ~business processes" are being used in your SAP system

The structure is not great though so I would suggest you use RBPD as a start point and then reorganize the structure to your liking.

BPCA is interesting as well and I agree with what has been posted above, it's very handy to determine impact on specific business processes but there is a certain effort necessary to get there:

Business processes have to be documented and have to be as correct as possible (if not you might miss impact)

TBOM's need to be generated which means you have to have someone who runs through the transaction the way the transaction is used in real use-case -> so walking through each business process --> the objects that are "touched" when doing that are being recorded and later on used to compare what you have against where you are going.

You could go high level first by only inserting business processes in an implementation project (using RBPD if you want) and generate TBOM's in it's most simple way (only access the transaction and that's it).

This will certainly make you "miss" impact but it's a quick way of seeing how RBPD and BPCA works.

You can easily expand the scope later on by adding detail to the business process documentation and redoing the TBOM's in indepth manner.

Don't forget about CDMC either since CDMC (CNV_CDMC or CCLM) can be used to check impact on custom coding (Z programming etc) and there are many features which can be useful in a support package stack or upgrade scenario (such as clearing analysis or impact & upgrade analysis).

Best regards

Tom

aya_uehara
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Tom,

Thank you for the in-depth review. I also saw your comment in another post "quick and easy way to use RBPDD". You mentioned about how to create T-bom from RBPD project. Can you let me know the steps in detail? I already created a solution manager project from the analysis project. Where can I see the option to record static TBOM?

Kind regards, Aya

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aya

Static creation of TBOM's can be performed using a background report:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp01/helpdata/en/8d/a40909ff0a4b5285ef215a7c6932b8/content.htm

See the link in the lower section of this help page.

SAP doesn't recommend using static TBOM creation though as it means you will "miss" out on certain objects. Dynamic creation of TBOM is the recommended way.

Another option can be to generate TBOM's using CBTA (Component Based Test Automation) but the principal is the same. The end-user runs through the actual process and performs the tasks which would normally be performed (on a non-productive environment as the change gets committed).

Best regards

Tom

keiji_mishima
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aya

In Service Market Place, their is a document on BPCA step by step guide.

It also describe the step to create T-BOM.

Please check following document.

Best Regards

Keiji Mishima

http://www.service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000197862012E

aya_uehara
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you Tom, Keiji-san!

former_member188058
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Any feedback / updates on this...

Regards,

Imran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imran,

I worked a bit on BPCA , The tool and features look nice.. But there are so many things before running the BPCA.. so the intial part will be time consuming and the Business process correctness also a key thing..

1) Correctness of the Business processes

2) Creating of TBOMs and categorising and prioritising the TBOMs will be time consuming..

The best thing is that it will show which transport / support package will effect the Business process which are defined as critical.. so for any project the realisation part will be smoother and we can figure it out the issues etc before moving to the other systems..

I used ARIS tool which is really nice.. but i never used RBPD .. Not sure by concept both are same..

THanks,

Jagadish.