cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not close logon pad after upgrade to GUI 730/SP1

Former Member
0 Kudos

After upgrade GUI 730 to SP1, when logon system, the pad can not be closed, is there anybody come across this issue?

Platform: WINDOWS 7 SP1 64BIT

Hanwei

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Han,

Please mark this question as answered for the benefit of other forum users.

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

The question is answered, but there is still a problem. You know you have a limit of opened modes and the sap logon pad counts as one. Lot of people, and I, think that we need an option to choose if we want it remain opened or closed.

BO

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Juan,

You can still have 6 modes opened with the GUI.

This has not been lowered from the previous behaviour.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The note says: "In SAP Logon 7.30 Patchlevel 4, a new option "Hide SAP Logon (Pad) to Tray bar" is added to the SAP Logon Option, on the "General" page. SAP Logon icon in the Windows taskbar will appear (by default) or disappear accoding to this option if one closes SAP Logon (Pad)."

Pity this wasn't in Patchlevel 0! 😛

Rgds,

William

Former Member
Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, they also decided that the new "improved" way should be the default. Now we will have to make the change for all of our users to get them back to the old way.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which causes even more work, if you upgrade via software distribution in an attempt at a world-wide 1.500 installations kinda way. Not to mention the tons of tickets you get because of the "improved" option!

I honestly sometimes do not know why SAP thinks, users won't be disgruntled when options are taken away from them.

petr_reznicek
Discoverer
0 Kudos

This is great.

When we can expect release of PL4?

Former Member
0 Kudos

FYI, if this option is grayed out, close all SAP sessions and open SAP GUI Configuration from the Control Panel (On Windows, anyway).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings,

I have to agree that the change to the toolbar in the 730 GUI is irritating or worse for a number of our users.   Outlook has a  "Hide When Minimized" option available which the 730 GUI should also have.  At least provide the information as to why the behavior was changed (didn't see any references to this in release details) and if it can be changed.

"Don't poke the bear" which includes the "Users".

Cheers,

Rick

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Rick,

We changed the bespoken behaviour due to complaints and misunderstandings

that came from other customers.

Main problem was, that users opened SAPLogon and opened a connection

then closed SAPLogon and then closed the last connection.

Now in the  Windows taskbar, no running SAPLogon was shown,but  nevertheless

SAPLogon was still running.

This behaviour was simply wrong and we think more misleading than the

new behaviour.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jude,

Thanks for the update!

However, the current behavior is even worse than it should be.  Now, the SAP Logon Pad Icon not only resides in the Toolbar but remains in the System Tray as well. Copying the Icon (from a user's point of view) to the Toolbar without at least the option to hide the Icon in the system tray is borderline sadistic.

I understand there is a lot going on with the saplogon.exe.  I added the Handles and Threads columns to Task Manager then fired up the SAP Logon Pad and logged on to four SAP sessions.  During most of the Task Manager tracking, the saplogon.exe had the most Handles and Threads for all the processes on my PC.   

I expect SAP will change the interaction with the Toolbar and System tray in the near future.  As of today, the SAP Logon is the only application on my PC that has a Toolbar and System Tray icon except for Outlook.   As I mentioned, Outlook provides the "hide when minimized option" so its icon only appears in the system tray if so desired.

The "new" behavior doesn't make me lose sleep.  However, the change is drastic to many of our users and they rule (of course they do!).

Cheers,

Rick

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Rick,

I can agree there

Even if you change the background,some people get upset.

However, we felt that this was the best solution to an issue that we had complaints about in the first

place.

Jude

tomas_chrastina
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jude,

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with any explanation of this big change of SAP Logon behavior. And I really don't understand why this happened in first place? What is the reason behind this? And telling that we still have 6 windows is not answer to original question. It's only statement of fact.

From my point of view, there was implemented change, new feature. So I hope somebody asked for it? If it's so, why don't you think about other users? I think we should try to make changes that are win win for everyone. Not just make something, where one win and one is forced to live with it. And even more in software development, when we have options. And I really don't see any particular reason why this cannot be optional? Please, just give me one good reason. Because in situation we're now, I just can't find any . I'm just not getting this decision.

So please, try to think about making this optional. I just haven't met any user, that is happy about this change, or asked for it.

Best regards,

Tomas.

martin_skubly
0 Kudos

Hello,

please, was somebody able to find some "workaround" or some setup (in SAP, Win Registry, anywhere...) that would give us back the possibility to close the SAP Logon (even if there are SAP GUI modes running) like it was until 730 patchlevel 0??? We have started to upgrade the SAP GUIs in our company but this is really bothering all of our customers! We want to have the same behavior like it was in the all previous versions and rolling back to the patch level 0 is not a solution.

Thanks.

Martin

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I'm also able to recreate the issue.

I'll revert back to 7.30 patch 0 and advise does the issue still occur and report a bug if need be.

regards,

Jude

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Mr Han,

Please refer to note below:
http://service.sap.com.sap/support/notes/1749369

SAP Logon icon in taskbar remains visible as of 7.30

Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Jude,

Thank you find that note, and i think its much better if i can close it.

Best Regards

Han Wei

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Han,

There maybe some cases where this is desireable,but I have never had to do this myself.

Not sure why you mark this as Helpful,rather than answered when it is the offical reply.

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not only does it waste space on the start bar, but it also breaks Windows conventions. If I wanted to close the window, I would close it. If I wanted to minimize it, I'd minimize it. If close just minimizes it, why have a close button?

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guyon,

You're responding to a thread that has been closed for three years about an issue that was resolved via patch -- three years ago.

If you have any active SAPGUI sessions open, you cannot (and should not) close SAPLogon. If you try to, it will just minimize it to the task bar. If, on the other hand, all of your SAPGUI sessions are closed, then "closing" SAPLogon will indeed close it.

This behavior is current as of patch 4 for GUI 730, I believe.

Cheers,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm simply pointing out that the default behavior violates Microsoft's Window Management guidelines, now, in 2016.

It's no problem for me, as I have "Hide SAP Logon (Pad) to Tray bar" checked in the configuration so that I can close the SAPLogin window. I see no reason to keep a window up I'm not using.