cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central master data management on MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to understand how mdm manage R/3 master data. I would like to have your asks to the following questions:

1.) does standard mdm repository for Material replicate all R/3 material view (like Purchasing view, Accounting 1 view, etc.)?

2.) if 1.) is true, does mdm offer standard consistence check on R/3 system? For example if I input data in "Plant data storage" view, does MDM an existence check of plant on R/3 back end system.

3.) if 1.) is false, where can i find some informations on standard MDM repository?

Thank you in advance.

Bye.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. I'm not sure if the standard material repository replicates all the R/3 material views but I think the naming conventions may be a bit different on the fields. However if it doesn't fit your needs you can create a new repository and duplicate the standard material repository then customize the fields and tables to accomodate your R/3 system.

2. As far as I know you will need to perform the existence check as part of your integration routine. For example, lets say you want to populate MDM with a new material and then syndicate that material back to R/3. Well upon first creation of the material in MDM no material number will be generated. Material number is something that R/3 creates when making a new material. So when you syndicate to R/3 you can check to see if a material number exists or not. If it doesn't then tell R/3 to create a new one, if it does then tell R/3 to edit the existing oen.

3. You can find documentation on MDM here:

https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700004121872006E

In particular check out the section on Reference Documentation, there are some good documents including one on managing the MDM Console, which should help you better understand the repositories. Also the IT scenario process guide has good information on how to go about syndicating between MDM and R/3.

https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700006291622006E

You may also want to check out a blog series that I wrote on the process.

/people/harrison.holland5/blog/2006/11/27/mdm-syndication

/people/harrison.holland5/blog/2006/12/20/xi-configuration-for-mdm-integration--sample-scenario

/people/harrison.holland5/blog/2007/01/22/testing-and-monitoring-an-interface-between-mdm-xi