Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom-designed value conversion filters

anthony_bateman3
Participant
0 Kudos

SAP MDM 7.1 Import Manager documentation states:

"Not only can each individual source value be manually edited, built-in and custom-designed value conversion filters can automatically convert or reformat a single value or the entire set of distinct values with a single command".

I can't see anywhere in the documentation how to create your own conversion filter. Can anybody please advise?

BR,

Tony.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

As mentioned in the other post this achieved through Value Conversion Filters in Import Manager.

A use case of this is discussed in the following blog -

http://scn.sap.com/people/mandeep.singhsaini/blog/2010/08/29/special-characters-removal-using-mdm-im...

Please let me know in case you need further details.

Thanks,

Ravi

anthony_bateman3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi and Ankush,

Thanks for the replies; although there are various options, there is no way (at least as far as I can see) to create your own specific filter.

I have a requirement to remove leading zeroes from material numbers, but I cannot see a way to do that using the portfolio of functions provided.

BR,

Tony.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

Can you specify why it is needed to remove the leading zeros from the material number field?

Does that have a purpose?

Let us know so that we can think of a workaround.

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antony,

I agree transformations are suited at the Interface layer rather in IM.

However,could you please provide an example of your requirement.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

You can use option of "Replace" under "Set Value Conversion Filter". There you can enter leading zeroes and leave the second input box blank(see screenshot). This will remove all the leading zeroes from the Material Numbers. But you can tell us the requirement so that we can let you know if there is any other easier way to achieve your requirement. Thank you.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

anthony_bateman3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush,

Nice suggestion but won't work for me because the number of leading zeroes is variable 😕

The requirement is: for any material number that contains only numeric characters, remove the leading zeroes, however many that may be.

BR,

Tony.

anthony_bateman3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I just did that in reply to Ankush's reply.

BR,

Tony.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

If the number of Zeroes is variable, then you won't be able to perform such transformation in MDM system. You can do such transformation in PI system in case of Automatic imports or you do the same in Excel(for example) source file for Manual imports.

Another way could be that you can design MDM workflow which would run assignment to do the transformation after the import(If you are able to import data without doing transformations prior to import). You would require to assign Workflow to Import map so that it is automatically triggered after the import is completed and also assignment expression needs to be written to achieve desired result.

You can choose any option as per your requirement and ease of implementation in your system.

Please let us know in case of any doubts. Thank you.

Regards,

Ankush

anthony_bateman3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush,

It occurred to me also that PI would be the correct place to do this; unfortunately that is not an option in this project; we will be fiven XML files to import.

Thank you (and Ravi) for your support 🙂

BR,

Tony.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

You can have another field which is of type integer,map that to material number clone in import manager.

This way all leading zeroes will be removed.

Now you can either use integer field like in case of portal search ivew and run assignment based on condtions as mentioned in the above post to achieve desired state.

Thanks,

Ravi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

When you map source fields with DestinaStion fields, you need to right click on ource field and there you can see the "Set Value Conversion Filter". There are various options inside that menu option and you can use them as desired.

Please let me know if you have more doubts.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush