cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid reprocessing of old event messages for new EHs with the same Tracking ID

0 Kudos

We're implementing EM for tracking maintenance processes of railways assets (e.g. freight cars). An asset is uniquely identified by a plate which is our tracking ID. When a maintenance cycle is completed, the corresponding EH is deactivated. When a new maintenance cycle starts, a new EH is generated with the same Tracking ID. What happens is that the event messages previously posted for deactivated EHs with the same Tracking ID are reprocessed for the newly created EH and in our scenario we need to avoid this mechanism. Is there any easy way to inhibit or control the reprocessing of "old" event messages (e.g. customizing or pre-processing function)?

Thanks a lot

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190756
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Luigi,

you can set a Start Date/End Date for tracking IDs. That prevents processing messages before this date.

Just look at table /SAPTRX/EH_TRKID and check the F1 Help for this field. We used this in a similar scenario with cycles.

Best regards,

Steffen

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Luigi:

Are you using EM to track a railcar's annual maintenance, i.e., the service work that must be done on a railcar before it is permitted to travel on a track?  Do you create Expected Events for scheduled maintenance, i.e., check valves and fittings, and then an Actual Event when the work is complete? Are you using the railcar number, i.e., GATX123456, for your Tracking ID?

If this is the situation, I would think you would want to concatenate the Tracking ID with an intelligent identifier that would describe the maintenance period the events in the Event Handler cover.  When the Event Handler is deactivated, the Tracking ID would be available to be used again as part of the name of the new Event Handler along with an identifier for the next maintenance period.  I believe this is what Affan is suggesting.  If the above scenario is your business process, it makes more sense to me to perform a concatenation than to assign a Start Date/End Date because then you would have intelligence built into the names of your Event Handlers.  This built-in intelligence helps when writing reports or trying to locate specific historical information.

If this is not your business scenario, please provide more detail as to what you mean by "maintenance cycle", "plate" and the types of maintenance you are referencing.

Good luck!  

Elizabeth Vail

Affan_alavi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Luigi,

I fail to undertand why you need to have the same Tracking ID for multiple EH. The tracking ID is the means of identifcation of EH and should always remain unique. My sugessions would be:

1. Have a tracking ID as a combination of plate number and some other parameter (unique to the specific asset under maintenance)

2. You can have the plate number as a system parameter and define it in the EH extension table. This will allow the users to search for the asset by the plate number, without compromising on the overall solution.

Regards,

Affan