cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background job failed Unable to create file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I was searched in SDN before posting this issue. Actually the problem is custom background job failed PFB the log. I know this is filesystem permission issue but which user need to provide the permission to create a file in OS level.

Job started

Step 001 started

Unable to create file

Job Cancelled after system exception ERROR_MESSAGE

Thanks in advance.

Regards

sharc

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Dear Sharc,

Can you let us know the syslog messages (SM21) of the same timestamp when you get this error in the job log?

Thanks & regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the quick response. 

When we kick-off the job foreground then successfully created the file in OS level but when tried to kick-off the job background then we got the error "Unable to create the file".

There is no syslog messages generated (SM21).

Pls help.

Thanks

Sharc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are running the job your id needs access to write on the unix system otherwise if the background user is running the job then that user id needs to have access to write on the unix system. Check with system adminstrator or Basis administrator.

Best Regards,

Swanand

Former Member
0 Kudos

if there is issue with the background job then check the user sy-batch. Since you mentioned it works in foreground and not in bacground I am interested in knowing the what FM are you using to write file ?

best regards,

swanand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Swanand,

We have few jobs which create the file in c:\xxx\oldfolder (WINDOWS) location but after we created the new folder c:\xxx\newfolder then after we getting this issue. And we already checked the permission and compare with oldfolder to newfolder which is similar and also checked the user & background user sy_batch have the write permission.

Thanks

Sharc

Former Member
0 Kudos

At OS level the user <sid>adm needs write permission and not "Your"user id or the "batch user id" as incorrectly suggested previously. These users exist at SAP tables level --!! not even at DB level leave aside at OS level. All work processes run under <sid>adm user and therefore that user needs the access.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit,

Thanks for quick response.

<sid>adm user added into a administrator group which has the full permission(read/write/delete).

In my previous thread I already mentioned that we are able to create the file in oldfolder with same user but when we created the new folder in that we are not able to create the file from background job but able to create from foreground.

Thanks

Sharc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharc,

What do you mean by foreground? You mean running the program in dialog mode or actually logging at OS level and creating the file.

Anyways is there any ABAP dump associated with the failed backgroundjob? Also is this a distributed enviornment ?

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Problem has been resolved.

Solution :  Restarted the server (Windows restart)

Thanks everyone for the timely manner responses.

Cheers

Sharc

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You need to provide permission to the Job step user.

From SM37 you can Goto Step from the Menu items.

Thanks,

Samik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are running the job your id needs access to write on the unix system otherwise if the background user is running the job then that user id needs to have access to write on the unix system. Check with system adminstrator or Basis administrator.

Best Regards,

Swanand