cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval Task Failed !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am working on Role Approvals in SAP IDM 7.2 SP4. I have enabled the new 7.2 approval mechanism using the scripts given along with the SP4.

But the problem I am facing here is, I just created a approval task and wanted to test it and used the Test Provisioning taks option. I am getting the following error as show below as FAILED . Can any one help me out with the reason behind this !! Pls help.

Regards,

Krish.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Krishna

According to John you don't get the approval within your todo tab, because you made the assignment.

As I understood, assigners and assigned user cannot approve.

This feature is a problem for us too. Does anybody have an idea how to allow for the user who made the assigment to approve?

Thanks,

Andi.

ChrisPS
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,
                      as far as I am aware this is no workaround to this as this is a core behaviour of the product. As this is a very old thread I will close it now.

Regards,

Chris

SAP Active Global Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Request you to help me out to fix this issue. I am strugging with it from almost 2 weeks. Even raised OSS with SAP. But not getting fatser response from SAP

Pls help.

Thanks,

Krishna.

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Krishna,

You can't test an approval task from the MMC, only from the Web UI.

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Matt,

I have created a approval task and referedd this task under Validate Add member event on a role.

I have defined the approver on the approval task, and selected the approval type as assignment But, when I

assign this role to a user , the request is not seen in the Approver ToDo tab. And also in the view MXPV_APPROVAL , the status of the request will be WAIT And the value under APPROver is '0'.

Can you help me to figure out why this is not working ?

PFA the screenshot of the configuration I have done and the records in my MXPV_APPROVAL view.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don't worry about the Pending Value Object. It is not being used during the approval.

What you want to be looking it is the view

idmv_approvals_ext

This view show one row for each open approval.

If you want to find the approvers for this approval, select from the table mxi_approver (sorry, no view for this yet). This has the columns:

mcApprovalId --> Reference to the ApprovalId returned from the privous view.

mcMSKEY

mcType, which can have one of the following values:

1: The user who made the assignment

2: The user getting the assignment

3: User(s) who can approve this

4/5: User(s) who has already approved this (only relevant is required approvers>1)

So only users with mcType 3 will be shown in the ToDo tab.

A hint for you: Turn on MX_TRACE for the user getting the assignment. You will get A LOT of information in the idmv_trace_data_basic view. A lot of it will probably be rather cryptic, but hopefully you should see what is going on during the approval.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

John Erik Setsaas

Development Architect IdM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello John,

As you suggested, I tried to look into the views idmv_approvals_ext & idmv_trace_data_basic . But surprisingly, these view are not at all present in my IDM database.

I have also checked the scripts which we got with IDM 7.2 SP4 . these views are not presend in the scripts too.

And in the table mxi_approver there are records with mcType as 2 & 5. There are no records with mcType with 3, even though I have defined approver on the role and made assignments.

Can you suggest, how to dig it further !!

Regards,

Krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

OK.. That only means that these views were added *After* SP 4. They are present in SP6.

Then until these are available, use the tables directly: mxi_approvals holds all the open approvals.

The table mc_trace_data holds the trace information.

Sorry about the confusion.

Regards

John Erik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello John,

Can you tell how to TURN ON  MX_TRACE for the user getting the assignment ? And In the table Mxi_approver, I can see only 2 records with the mcType 1 & 2 when I do the assignment.

If I am not wrong, thre should be a job or trigger which should identify the approver and make an entry to the table MXi_Approver with mcType as 3 ?

In my case, even though I wait for an hour or a day, the corresponding approver entry is not happenign in the table with mcType as 3.

Is there anything I need to enable manually ??

Please suggest

Regards,

Krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you are on SP4, you will have to enable this manually, by creating these two global constants:

MX_TRACE_ENTRY: MSKEY of the entry to trace or MSKEYVALUE within <>

MX_TRACE_RT: 1

Then do whatever you want to do, and then afterwards, check the view idmv_trace_data  (or the table mc_trace_data, if this view missed the SP4 deadline :-))

Hopefully this will give you some clue as to what is happening.

In SP5, you will see a "Trace" tab in the admin web-interface to enable and view the trace.

See the topic "About tracing" in the IdM MMC help file.

Best regards

John Erik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello John,

I have enabled the trace, which gave some information in the idmv_trace_data view. But, that is not of much help. It was not disclosing, why the Approval task is getting failed. It simply logs " Reason: Task Falied"

Can you look at the attachment and suggest how to make use of this trace.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry about that. Seems that the trace info I thought was added to SP4 was not added until SP5. We have been working a lot with the approvals for SP5 and SP6. SP6 will be available within 4 weeks, and I suggest you install this when it becomes available.

Until then, you should at least install SP5.

Hopefully your issue is resolved in SP5 or SP6.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello John,

Trace is enabled in SP4 too, but the reason for the failure of the task is not being shown in the trace. This is not giving enough clue to identify the issue.

Even i have upgraded to SP5, but still have the same issue

-Krishna