cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information Design Tool - connect to a SAP ERP system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,  I am now studying the feasibility to implement BI 4.0 and connect to ERP system ( HCM module ) as data source to build universe, then crystal report as well as Webi. I have researched a while but still can't get a clear picture.

I suppose once we successfully created a unvierse connecting to ERP HCM module, I can easily build report using Crystal and WEBI. So my key concerns is how to make sure BI 4.0 can really connect to ERP HCM, and what is needed to do so.

Referring to the official document of IDT and data access guides, both mention that they can connect to SAP. However, we are not using ERP on BW, is that still a proven way to directly connect to ERP system with just the information designed tool installed, and via jco driver? Is there any prerequisite for the ERP / BI 4.0 system to build a successful connection?

Really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this thread about SAP ERP connectivity in BI 4.0

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/SAP+ERP+Connectivity+in+BI+4.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have found the following information internally hope it helps.

How does the semantic layer connects to SAP ERP

The plan is to have the semantic layer provide access to SAP ERP via relational multi-source enabled universes starting from SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.1The connection will allow the definition of multi-source universes on top of Infosets, SAP queries and ABAP functions which will be exposed as relational tables.  Disclaimer:  no commitment can be legally given at the time this document is written.

Regards

F.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. This is a useful information for my side. However, may I have further information on the pre-requsitie of the ERP system : Does the ERP has to be on BW ? As far as I know, the documentation of IDT / Crystal Report only mentions we can connect to ERP and to extract infosets / table (for CR). But It doesn't mention that the ERP can be on BW (via BICS extraction ?) or can be on Netweaver only. As my side has no BW implemented for the ERP.

Moreover, does it mean that SAP provides support on all modules of ERP ? e.g. HCM. If not, is there any detail documentation on this?

Really appreciate your help on this issue!

Thanks a lot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

With regards to question 1 my understanding is that ERP does not have to be on BW.  With regards to question 2 I have not found any information on specific ERP exclusions

Regards

F.