cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC10-Event Driven Monitoring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would need to configure event driven monitoring in PC10. I have found a document PC10-Event Driven Subscenarios for Continuous Monitoring but what I can´t find what has to be set up in satellite ERP system. Can you give me an advice what shall be done in ERP system or a paste a link to a documentation.

thanks in advance

Igor

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member

Hi Igor

Any luck on this? I have exactly the same problem.

Would be great if you could let me know once you found the solution.

Cheers

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atul

Thanks for your quick response. I read through all the documentation which you refer to (and much more). However, I'm still confused. Requirement (b) is clear. On the GRC side (PC) you need to configure an event handler ("listener") which receives data and knows how to process it. check!

Requirement (a) is the tricky part: The system which is monitored (subsystem), in our case SAP ECC6.0, needs to call the PC web service and pass on the structured data whenever a predefined event happens. But how do you configure that? I assume the there must be some kind of agent running on the subsystem which constantly checks for predefined events as PC does not know if an event happened. In particular:

on the subsystem side
- Where and how do you configure an "agent" which checks for an event? As an example: it should monitor T000 and send the table content when the field CCNOCLIIND is changed to something else than "3" for client "100".
- Where and how do you configure what data and the data structure which will be passed on to the PC web service?

If you have any answers or documentation, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a ton
Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, now I understand!

But I'm afraid there is no simple answer. Outbound events from ECC, or even NW/ABA is something I've heard being discussed over the years, but never prioritized for actual development. The closest we've come is to have products such as Event Insight, now replaced by Sybase Event Stream Processor.

ESP can be configured to monitor ERP and other applicaitons, with minimal intrusiveness/performance hit. And it can then be configured to alert PC. But I know nothing more about it, sorry to say. I'm willing to work with/support any consultant who wants to make this work, though!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atul

That's quite surprising to me. Do you work for SAP?
I also stumbled over an Event Insight documentation which talks about setting up adapters to communicate with PC. But it seemed rather complex for the "easy" requirement.

I read from your answer the following:
1. Currently there is no implementation which is using event-driven monitoring
2. Continuous Control Monitoring can only be implemented (without using ESP) using a planned task which checks for events on a regular basis. Communication is always initiated by PC (PC "polls" data from the monitored systems, not vice versa).

In the training documentation mentioned above, there are some screen shots of the event handler showing incoming events. Any idea where do these come from?
I'm really interested to make this work, this is one of the major advantages of PC compared to other systems. Hard to believe that you need another product like ESP to make use of this functionality.

...or is there an "easy" workaround without having to poll data from the monitored systems on a regular basis?

Thanks for the interesting conversation!
Cheers
Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is surprising to you? And yes, I'm part of the GRC Solution Management team.

To answer what you said specifically: I don't say there are no implementations of event-driven monitoring. But I have not personally participated in any. And yes, the other CCM methods all are initiated from PC, via scheduler or planner modules.

During testing phase and in preparing demos, the team (including myself) had configured a test system with CISCO network monitoring software acting as the external event-raising agent.

I recognize that requiring an external system to raise events means customers have to figure out how this should happen. And obviously for non-SAP backend systems, there's nothing we can say in general. For SAP backends as well, instrumenting (say) ERP to raise events is quite a non-trivial task. Even outside the scope of GRC, I've heard this discussed often, and it's been discussed for many years. Yet no solution has been forthcoming.

In fact, this gap used to be one of the business drivers motivating Event Insight! So clearly there is no easy solution. If you have specific ideas, please contact me directly and we can discuss.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

Did you find any document on configuring Event Monitoring in Process Control 10.0?

Regards,

Ramakrishna Chaitanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I missed this question when it was originally posted.

The guide you reference is certainly the definitive one. There's also the overview document on SCN.

On your specific question: it doesn't have to be the backend ERP system that raises events to PC, but some non-PC system does need to do that. The two key requirements here are that (a) this external system has to be able to call PC's web services interface for events, and (b) PC needs to be configured to know what data the events will contain.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atul,

I now this documentation but my original question and Markus has similar one is where we can find out documentation for ERP backend system set up.

Thanks a lot

Igor