cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent child Hierarchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I am trying to create parent child hierarchy in an attribute view ,there are attributes Country, State , City , I am trying to create Country as a parent of State and further State as a parent of City, but at a time it is allowing only one Principal key to be set as True which means it is the child for all the parents that I am trying to create .Meaning I made Principal Key property of State to true and Country as parent now I am trying to make State as parent for City .How do I achieve that as there can be only one principal key true attribute.Request you to share your ideas.Is it that I need to use Level Hierarchy for these scenarios.

Thanks

Santosh Varada

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

The address hierarchy is a typical example of a level hierarchy. Yes, you are right, you need to create this as a level hierarchy.

Please go through the hierarchies section in this document - http://help.sap.com/hana/hana1_model_en.pdf for differences between level & parent-child hierarchies and examples for each.

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anooj

I have gone through that PDF,but incase if I want to model a hierarchy with three levels using Parent-child hierarchy how would I be able to model it, because as I said above at a time it allows only one attribute to be child .So could not understand how would we model a hierarchy with multiple levels using Parent-child hierarchy.

Thanks

Santosh Varada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Santosh,

A parent-child hierarchy is a hierarchy in a dimension that is based on two table columns. Together, these columns define the hierarchical relationships among the members of the dimension. The first column, called the member key column, identifies each dimension member. The other column, called the parent column, identifies the parent of each dimension member. The parent attribute determines the name of each level in the parent-child hierarchy, and determines whether data for parent members should be displayed.

Hope this will help you, let me know your concerns!

Regard's

Mihir Jha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mihir

As you said I understood the concept of parent-child hierarchy ,but in a parent-child hierarchy if I have more than two levels, in that case how could we achieve this because at a time there can be only one child attribute but  I could not find the way to make that child as parent attribute of another child.Request you to share your ideas.Also any scenarios you can think of which are suitable for parent-child hierarchy would be helpful.

Thanks

Santosh Varada

a_ahmad
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varada,

I understand your concern as you want to create hier. for drill-down to further 2 levels: country-state-city (Parent-child). Currently in HANA its possible to define only for as in your case Country-State

I have recently confirmed this with HANA trainer

regards

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmad

Thanks for updating and providing information ,actually there was a statement in HANA Modelling that in parent-child hierarchy a child can act as a parent ,which is not possible in level hierarchy.Can you share your views on what does that statement means it would be more helpful.

Thanks

Santosh Varada

a_ahmad
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Santosh,

Could you pls point to the doc. where you read this?

regards

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmad

Thanks for updating and providing information ,actually there was a statement in HANA Modelling that in parent-child hierarchy a child can act as a parent ,which is not possible in level hierarchy.Can you share your views on what does that statement means it would be more helpful.

Regards

Santosh Varada

Answers (0)