cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantage SUP with native application?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have a doubt. If I develop a native application with SUP, I have to create the synchronization, I have to create the connection, I have to create all... so, what are the advantage with SUP versus another software for develop native applications?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

D_Olderdissen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There are actually three parts where SUP does bring additional value to the table

1. Client development
  2. Middleware services
  3. Backend integration

1. Client development

Let's ignore SUP HTML5 container for this discussion. In the native space (development with Xcode, C# etc) you get the complete mobile communication stack + a mobile DB for your device. That is a huge benefit when you consider you got do develop all of that by hand:

• Local data storage and data consistency (e.g. making sure your user is not changing data in a table that you are currently synchronizing)
  • Security - End2End, easy to handle local data encryption, data vault for secure secret storage with configurable PW strength, content wipe, etc
  • Communication services - e.g. you just tell the api to sync a table. The SUP stack establishes the connection, the security, handles packet loss, returns error codes, does the change detection, etc
  • Local DB - the Ultralight DB we ship with SUP is one of the fastest mobile DB's available on the market.
  • The SUP sync engine is one of the best you can buy for money - e.g. fire 100.000 records onto an iPad in six minutes over a 3G connection.

2. Middleware Services

SUP is intended for enterprises that have more than one or two mobile apps. For them manageability of users + apps and integration is vital as those are cost drivers in the daily operation of such a middle ware system.

• Central logging, auditing and management
  • Integration with Afaria MDM
  • Integration with LDAP, SAP SSO, Network Edge Authentication etc
  • One platform for all mobile apps - online, offline, HTML5, B2C, B2E etc
  • One security approach and concept, enterprise level security (we do have banking customers)
  • Load separation (configurable caching system)
  • Scalable
  • Hostable

3. Backend integration

Support for all major backend data sources

• JDBC
  • BAPI
  • ODATA
  • REST
  • WebService

When you think about putting all of this together manually for one project, ok fine. The initial cost of such an effort are ok and most likely some what cheaper than buying SUP. But if you look at the maintenance of your custom project (new client version, version deployment, web service changes, security audits, issue handling, support etc) and then look at the fact that many customers need to do many mobile applications, you know the benefit of SUP. Because if you try to increase the number of apps, of different mobile device types etc your individual approach will become very expensive and most likely unmaintainable very quickly.

🙂

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks - exactly what I had started writing, just much more complete

Frank.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

you can develop both native and workflow apps using SUP.

A same workflow app can run on any kind of device, BB, android, iOS etc.

for native app,

till MBO creation steps are same.

(presumming that you have a knwledge of MBOs)

then you have to choose a particular IDE (developing tool) for developing app on a particular device,,

eg for BB you have to choose java Elipse JDE plug-in.

iOS you have to choose Xcode (objective C)

Windows Mobile/windows> Visual Studio

Regards,

JK

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, so... The advantage with SUP when I want develop native application is I can use MBO.

Is it ok? Any other?

Regards,

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Victor,

let me explain

SUP supports 2 MBO based app type: native app and HWC-based mobile workflow.

Native app:

1. The native app model enables the developer to generate object API code frm MBOs and      write custom code (C#, Java, or Objective-C, depending on the platform) to create a      device application.

2. here, the app is based on compiled code thats specific to a particular mob OS.

3.with native app development you will get most flexibilty in terms of leveraging the      device services, but each application must be provisioned individually after being      compiled, even for minor changes updates.

4.Native applications support offline capabilities, leveraging synchronization.

Hybrid Web container-based mobile workflow

1.this offers a fast and simple way to build apps that support business processes.

e.g. approvals and requests. (leave approval, purchase order approval, leave rejection etc)

2.  With HWC based developement

server side of app is metadata driven and

client side of app is a fully generated web app pckg.

3. the HWC hosts an embedded browser and launches the individual mob WF apps.

the WFs are assigned to users by administrators.

Once assigned, those workflows can be initiated by the user (client-initiated) or automatically triggered as a result of a back-end event that is sent to the Unwired Server as a data change notification request (server-initiated).

Regards,

JK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, but... I want known the advantages of create a native app with SUP vs create a native app with java Elipse or Xcode

So, is better buy SUP for create a native app or is better develop the application with Eclipse or Xcode?

Regards,

sujith_prathap
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

Native applications are best created in the IDE's that are provided by manufacturers of the respective devices to develop apps.

If you take the case of the iPhone, Apple provides Xcode which is an IDE free of cost which allows you to create apps for a wide range of applications.

Using SUP on its own will in no way allow you to create a native application. SUP is generally a library which can be integrated into Xcode to develop a native application. SUP provides api's that help programmers to perform certain functions For.eg registration by writing minimal amount of code.

So the bottom line is that, regardless of whether you buy SUP or not Xcode is mandatory for you to create a native iPhone app.

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

see,

if you want to develop native app using SUP.

you have more advantage:

here, data modeling is very easy.( creatign MBO frm backend: you have lots of backend options)

if you dont use SUP and wanna develop native app this data modeling you have to manually.and it ll be complex.

i would recommend you to go for SUP.

Regards,

Jitendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, but... two points

- My doubt is buy or no buy SUP for develop native application

- What is the SUP api´s that help programmers? I think this is the key for known the advantages of SUP.

Regards,

sujith_prathap
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

Could you please tell us the native application that you are going to develop. Based on that we can suggest whether you should go in for SUP or not.

Best Regards,

Sujith

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want start with this, but by now, I have not develop any application.

First I want read and inform me about this.

I test the HWC and it´s very very simple. I´m looking for something more complex.

Regards,

sujith_prathap
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Good to hear that you found it easy. HWC's also can be complex sometimes as well.

The advantage of the HWC is that you can create code that is platform independent, but it might limit you from using some of the more advanced features of the native platforms.

What i would suggest, is that you could could try creating simple apps using XCode for the iPhone or eclipse for Android as they are free and see how comfortable you are with both platforms and then take a call on how you would like to proceed.

Best Regards,

Sujith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I think the word in wrong...

Not simple, I want say limited in the design.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In either way, you have to create your native app with xcode/elipse.

We don't create a native app with SUP, we are still develop native app with xcode (for IOS) or elipse (for android), with importing and consume the MBO you created in SUP. The native app with SUP integration is consuming the MBO which sided SUP server to communicate with back ends.

I think what are you asking is what is advantages of create a native app with integration with SUP and without integration with SUP.

If so,

1. with sup, you have a middle platform between your backends (SAP R3 and sql server etc) and your mobile devices, to design your MBO (synchronication logic and etc), instead of you write your own web services at your back end system.

2. with sup, mobile devices are connect to your SUP server instead your backends system, which will decrease load to your backends system.

3. with sup, you have a cdb database with created based on your MBO design, and mobile devices are accessing the data through cdb but not direct to backend database.

Feel free to correct/add on if I were wrong/miss out on above points.

Treat SUP as a middle platform of your back end systems and your mobile devices.

sujith_prathap
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hehehe ... ok...

In order to re-cap from all the discussions above, for the benefit of others. What we can conclude is that

1) SUP is not a software to develop native applications. But more of a software to help you connect to the backend from a mobile device to put it in the most simplest terms.

2) Native Applications can be created regardless of whether SUP is used or not.

3) HWC offers limited in functionality, but caters to a wide variety variety of platforms.

4) Xcode can be used to create native apps for iPhone.

Eclipse can be used to create native apps for Android.

@Victor: What kind of app do you intend to make?

What functionalities are important to you??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra,

Present i m working as a iphone apps developer...so now i wanna connect my iphone app with backend SAP server through SUP...i got sum sample codes from the SCN...by using these i got connected my simulator with SCC...bt i did't get any data from the backend from MBO...i got strucked here...if i click the synchronize  button it shows the error below...

2013-02-14 11:47:53.047 SUP101[643:5a07] onConnectionStatusChanged: status = 105, code = 516, message = Error: 516 Detail: Error sending request to server Native Error: -2 Source: /Users/iotabuilder/svn/Pioneer/MOClients/iPhone/../Common/C/moClient.cpp 1754.

2013-02-14 11:47:53.048 SUP101[643:5a07] =================================================

2013-02-14 11:47:53.362 SUP101[643:5a07] =================================================

2013-02-14 11:47:53.363 SUP101[643:5a07] onConnectionStatusChanged: status = 103, code = 0, message =

2013-02-14 11:47:53.364 SUP101[643:5a07] =================================================

plz help me to make me out from this situation jitendra....

Regards,

Ramesh.S,

Associative Consultant,

vCentric Technologies Pvt Ltd,

Hyderabad.

Mob-9951074432.

Hi Jitendra,

Present i m working as a iphone apps developer...so now i wanna connect my iphone app with backend SAP server through SUP...i got sum sample codes from the SCN...by using these i got connected my simulator with SCC...bt i did't get any data from the backend from MBO...i got strucked here...if i click the synchronize  button it shows the error below...

2013-02-14 11:47:53.047 SUP101[643:5a07] onConnectionStatusChanged: status = 105, code = 516, message = Error: 516 Detail: Error sending request to server Native Error: -2 Source: /Users/iotabuilder/svn/Pioneer/MOClients/iPhone/../Common/C/moClient.cpp 1754.

2013-02-14 11:47:53.048 SUP101[643:5a07] =================================================

2013-02-14 11:47:53.362 SUP101[643:5a07] =================================================

2013-02-14 11:47:53.363 SUP101[643:5a07] onConnectionStatusChanged: status = 103, code = 0, message =

2013-02-14 11:47:53.364 SUP101[643:5a07] =================================================

plz help me to make me out from this situation jitendra....

Regards,

Ramesh.S,

Associative Consultant,

Hyderabad.

Mob-9951074432.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sujith,

plz help me to make me out from this situation sujith....

Regards,

Ramesh.S,

Associative Consultant,

Hyderabad.

Mob-9951074432.

D_Olderdissen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I recommend to start a new thread. This one is not really related to your question. 🙂

sujith_prathap
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

I am not sure whether I interoret you question correctly.You are asking whether SUP can be used to develop native applications???

SUP is not a software to develop native applications. But more of a software to help you connect to the backend from a mobile device to put it in the most simplest terms.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can not develop native application? Sure?

With SUP I can only develop workflow application, I think no... I can develop native application.

What is the advantages develop native application with SUP versus other development software?

Regards,