cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting on HANA with BO Client tools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to create a  Xcleius dashboard on top of HANA through IDT .

Requirement:

a Global map will appear where I will select a Continent say Asia/Soth America and based on the selectionof the continent I need to see the Countries for the selected continent and based on the selection of country I need to see States of that particular country and there are some busnisess scenario but I have pointed some highlevel picture.

The underlying HANA View has Continent, Country, State as separate columns on the same and the values are dynamic based on the user selection.

I need to have dese fields as a prompt since it take inputs from the front end , kindly let me how we can achieve this in HANA/IDT.

Do we need to use a Variables in HANA and Prompts in IDT?

Regards,

Nagaraj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nikhil_joy2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nagaraj,

From your high level description i assume that you don't need to use any particular selector other than maps. considering the performance factor, you can have multiple queries to fetch each level of data. Your first query will be refreshed whenever the dashboard is opened. You can fetch continent level information alone in that query and whenever you select a continent, that will be the prompt for your second query. in your second query you can  filter for continent so that it will fetch data for countries for the selected continent. This filter value will be dynamically populated by the continent selection. By dynamic display you can display particular continent alone with your country data. Your third query will be refreshed when the user selects any particular country. this will dynamically fetch state level data for the selected country  by the same method. using dynamic display you can display the country alone with state level data. If your business demands some state level detail information to display in charts or any component, you can have fourth query which will take the selected state as the prompt and fetch data for only selected state dynamically.

So i think in your HANA view you can define optional variables on these attributes. So depending on the user selection  required information will be pulled from HANA system.

Regards,

Nikhil Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

1.Could you please share any link on how to create a variable in HANA and the same Prompt @ IDT.

2. Is creating a variable a mandatory to achieve the above functionality /

Regards,

Nagaraj

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) The link to document to create prompts for HANA variables:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-27676

2) Not sure if you mean if the "variable type" should be mandatory or "creation of variable" as a concept is mandatory.

Assuming you mean the first option, then mandatory variable will ensure that users enter all the values hence reducing the data to be sent from HANA DB to front end. But it will have less flexibility in terms of data selection range.

In case you don't want to create variables in HANA (second option), then in my opinion, that should also be fine as the values are anyway passed through the "where clause".

I am sure you understand the difference between HANA Input parameters and variables and their respective use cases.

Considering the requirement, data volume, development effort and performance expectations you can decide whether to implement the requirement using HANA variables and Prompts, or just prompts in IDT.

Regards,

Ravi

nikhil_joy2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nagaraj,

You will get the answer for your first question from the document Ravindra has shared.

I think it is  better to define variable in HANA itself so that only required data will be fetched from hana database to the front end. So performance will be better compared to other method.

Regards,

Nikhil Joy

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nagaraj,

In my point of view, the user selection is very likely to be dynamic. That is, the user might just select continent and / or country and may not select state. Secondly, you need even the dropdowns to be dynamic based on earlier user selection.

Considering these points, I think the dropdowns will be based on Attribute views / Master data entities and should populate the prompt values in IDT which in-turn should be mapped to HANA variables. Also all your variables may be optional, but recommended to have them mandatory to reduce the data volume.

Regards,

Ravi