Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information on password limitations in NW7 and MaxDB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are looking at a Password Management system for auditing reasons.

I am trying to find out any password limitations in the NW7.X platform (both stacks) and MaxDB.  What I mean by limitations is such things as if the password generated by  the Password management system is 50 characters long (with suitable complexity) am I able to :

1. set the SAP* password to a string this long.
  2. Will the MaxDB database users also accept passwords this long
  3. Will the various install/upgrade (eg SAPinst) tools accept this password length.

Any document with type of information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

in SU01 the fields that are used to enter new password for a user has only length of 40 characters. Also logon screen field for password is limited to 40 characters. So that is your limit but I am not sure if it is supported correctly by installation tools.

MaxDB seems to be better. 7.8 supports password with length up to 256 characters but I found note 1601081. So it's not be fully supported by all tools.

Cheers

1 REPLY 1

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

in SU01 the fields that are used to enter new password for a user has only length of 40 characters. Also logon screen field for password is limited to 40 characters. So that is your limit but I am not sure if it is supported correctly by installation tools.

MaxDB seems to be better. 7.8 supports password with length up to 256 characters but I found note 1601081. So it's not be fully supported by all tools.

Cheers