Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system copy sql server 2005 ABAP only STM tool

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

1. I performed system copy for a central system abap only. Used STM for changing Schema. Now I have to perform a system copy for a distributed system. (DB server, central instance and app server). Please let me know where do I have to run the STM tool after restore of source into target DB? In all servers (DB, CI and DI)?

2. I have ABAP + Java system disributed system source (DB+CI+DI servers).

Target is DB+CI in one server and DI in another server.

I have to take export of DB and export of CI, 2 exports (Distributed system)?

I have to import central system installation? 1 import? What about DI? Pls help.

Thanks,

Kavitha.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Kavitha,

I don't know about the first enquiary.

Regarding the second one, i havn't tried to extract usage types before, but I think it's not possible since the export will contain all the data.

P.S.: you can take the database without export file by detach and attach and then perform a system copy.

Thanks

Ahmed

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

I did not understand what you are trying to say. After restore of DB, should I take export in CI of source and import in target CI? What about APP server?

Thanks,

Kavitha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case of ABAP + JAVA system copy, you'll be asked for two things, the DB name, and the JAVA export, so you'll restore, system copy, choose your database name when prompted to, and specify the CI export when prompted to specify the java export.

Regards

Ahmed

premsukh_bishnoi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha,

You use the SAP Tools for MS SQL Server to:

o  Perform a system copy using the detach/attach or backup/restore

method.

This only applies to SAP systems based on kernel 6.40 or lower.

If you have an SAP system based on kernel 7.0 or higher, you must

perform the system copy with SAPinst.

o  Convert the SAP system to a schema-based configuration.

o  Upgrade your SQL Server.

This applies to all SAP releases starting with 4.6C, including

upgrades to SQL 2005, SQL Server 2008 (R2) and SQL Server 2012.

You cannot use the "Database Copy Completion" option to copy Java

systems only, or to copy ABAP systems based on release 7.00 or later. If

you want to copy such systems you must follow the instructions in the

relevant system copy guide, which is available on SAP Service

Marketplace at: http://service.sap.com/instguides

Please read SAP Note No. 683447 for more detailed information.

Now come to 2nd point:

2. I have ABAP + Java system disributed system source (DB+CI+DI servers).

Target is DB+CI in one server and DI in another server.

I have to take export of DB and export of CI, 2 exports (Distributed system)?

This is not supported way to do system copy for Dual stack system.

Regarding the Application server, no need to Run STM tool for Application server and does not require.

If you have already installed  ABAP apps server then just change the schema name in profile and test R3trans -d .

SAP Note No. 1476928 is also useful in your case.

Please let me know if you required more information in this regards.

Best Regards, Premsukh Bishnoi

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Premsukh,

Thank you for replying. I did not frame my question correctly. sorry and pls ignore. I have completed system copy in SBX systems. After restore, I used STM tool for ABAP only system and sapinst for dual stack system. These systems are Schema owned and central system.

Now, 1. I need to perform system copy in QA. I have ABAP system. DB+CI+APP server. As per you mentioned, I dont not have to run STM tool in App server. Do I have to run for DB and CI? We have been using STM tool for NW 7.0 version without any issue.

2. I have dual stack central system with App server. I run sapinst for CI. What to do for App server?

Now, I put it correctly. Pls help.

Thanks,

Kavitha.

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha,

Now, 1. I need to perform system copy in QA. I have ABAP system. DB+CI+APP server. As per you mentioned, I dont not have to run STM tool in App server. Do I have to run for DB and CI? We have been using STM tool for NW 7.0 version without any issue.

- You need to run it on CI.

2. I have dual stack central system with App server. I run sapinst for CI. What to do for App server?

- Run SAPInst to perform Import on CI where the same system will host DB also as you said earlier, later run SAPInst on DI and install it based on your usage type requirement (ABAP or JAVA). DI is nothing but the expansion to your system in terms of hardware and performance capability it doesn't keep any data or database, so after your CI+DB is done you install a DI for the system.

Regards,

SUJIT

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

After system copy, I have to install DI for dual stack and also ABAP only system right?

Thanks,
Kavitha.

premsukh_bishnoi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha,

As SUJIT said, in case of only ABAP stack you need to run it on CI and incase of dual stack please export the ABAP and JAVA from source system and import it with SAPINST based on centerlized

system or distributed. So sapint will take care  of your schema conversion.

Yes, Dialog instance is nothing just expansion of you system for performance improvement so you can install it seprately with out linking with system copy as usually we do in fresh system installation.

I hope now it clear.

Regards, Premsukh Bishnoi

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Sijit and Premsukh for clarifying my doubts. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Kavitha.

Answers (0)