cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 Subreport Width

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 sp4 (CRforVS_13_0_4)

and Visual Studio 2010 SP1

I have a main report with page size = Legal (8.5X14 in.) and Page Orientation = Landscape

When I place sub reports on the Main Report, and then go to edit the subreport in designer, the design width of the subreports is always 8 inches wide, regardless of the width of the subreport object in the main report. I can resize the subreports anywhere from 0 to 13.5 inches wide (.25 in margins on each side) no matter what I do to the subreport object on the main report, the width of the subreport is always the same.

I can not design the subreport properly, because it needs to be 13.5 inches wide, and I only have 8 inches of design space.

How can I make the designer for the subreport the full width of my subreport object?

Fred

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your design space should be what ever page size you select while designing the report;

Design | Page Setup -> select the page size you want. Note that if you want to use 8.5 X 14 paper size, your printer driver will need to support this paper size.

Here is a test I did:

1) Used page size of 11 X 17 as I do not have 8.5 X 13 available.

2) Set the main report landscape. Inserted a text field in the detail section on the far left side and far right side of the report

3) Inserted a subreport (Create a subreport with the Report Creation Wizard) into a footer

4) Stretched the subreport so it would cover the whole pain of the maim report footer

5) Double clicked on the subreport

6) Inserted a text field in the detail section on the far left side and far right side of the subreport

Both the main and the subreport preview and print as 11 X 17

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ludek,

I tried the steps as you laid them out, and I get the same results as you.

However, my issue comes in if I attempt to change the page size of the main report. I didn't realize this until I tried testing your steps.

My particular issue is that whatever size the main report was when the subreport was imported, that's what the width of the subreport will always be, regardless of changes to the main report.

To test, I created a main report legal size, portrait, imported my subreport, and the subreport was correctly showing a width of 8.5 inches.

However, when I changed the page size of the main report to landscape (now the width is 14 inches), resize the subreport to the full width of the page main report, then go in to edit the subreport, it maintains it's original 8.5 inch width.

So, to elaborate on my question.... If I already have a subreport imported and I need to increase the main report page width, how can I change the subreport width to match.

Given that:

1. The subreport has been designed in the main report and can not be imported from another source.

2. There is no way I can find to export a single subreport so that it can be reimported to the new width.

Fred

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahhh - you are right. I just did the steps you provided and voila, issue reproduced.

I then fired up an image with CR 2011 on it and tried the same thing there. And it works just fine in that designer. The difference being that in CRVS2010 we are using the craxddrt.dll wich used to be part of the Report Design Component (RDC) a while back. E.g.; we're looking at a bug, with the craxddrt.dll, but I am not sure how much attention it will get if I escalate it for a fix. Couple of ways of proceeding (well, one and a half):

Download an eval of CR2011 from here:

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/freetrials/index.epx

Open the report in CR 2011, do the updates and use that report in the app. The half is; if you want you can purchase CR 2011, it need be...

Hope this helps,

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again Ludek,

I've marked as helpful answer. At least it's a known issue.

For anyone reading, my final solution is to recreate the design of the report so that all sub reports are maintained as separate files. Any edits are done in the separate file, and then re-imported into the main report.

It's not necessarily ideal (although comes with some other benefits with re-usability, etc) but it solves this particular issue for me.

This way, my sub report is being designed in it's own editor with it's own page setup options. Then, when I have it just as I need it, I re-import.

Fortunately for me, others on my team have full Crystal versions, so I asked one of them to do some of what you suggested, but this new design will prevent future similar errors.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Fredrick ,

Me to have a same problem , where  i have designed my main page  as A4 format with Portrait orientation , and change all margin setup as ZERO .(8.2*11.6).

while designing subreport i am getting width as 7.6 inch . Please check my image file for better understand .

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are asking for a solution, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Your only real option is to re-import the subreport. So, if you have a copy of the source report, and re-import subreport, it should be the full width of the main report at the time of the import.

If you don't have the source, you're kind of out of luck, I think. If you have access to it, you can open the report in a full version of Crystal, and export the subreport, then re-import it into your report. Otherwise, you're stuck with what you have.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fredrick ,

how to re-import subreport,  you are asking me to delete the subreport and designed once again ?

if i need to design once again also doesn't matter , just i need a solution .

With Regards

Sri.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sriram

If you imported the subreport into the main report and you still have the import saved on your HD do the following:

Delete the subreport from the main report

Format your main report to the page size and orientation desired

Re-import the subreport and now you should be able to format it to the width of the main report

If you did not import the subreport, you only have one option (well, two I suppose but the second one would require recreating the subreport, so let's not go there). Anyhow, the option in this case would be to download an eval of CR 2011, open the report there and do the formatting as needed. BTW.; in the CR 2011 designer, you can also save out the subreport, giving you a copy of the subreport as a stand-alone rpt. Eval of CR 2011 can be downloaded from here:

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/freetrials/index.epx

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The issue is resolved in SP 6:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

- Ludek

Answers (0)