cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchies in HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

As per my knowledge   we can build hiearachies in HANA using attribute views .There are two types of Hierarchies as mentioned below

1.Level Heirarachy

2.Parent chile heirarchy

but I could not understand the basic difference between each, request you to share your views.

Thanks

Santosh Varada

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

The difference can be explained as follows in the SAP modeling guide:

http://help.sap.com/hana/hana1_model_en.pdf

Level Hierarchy

Level Hierarchies are hierarchies that are rigid in nature, where the root and the child nodes can be accessed only in the defined order.

Level hierarchies consist of one or more levels of aggregation. Members roll up into the next higher

level in a many-to-one relationship, and members at this higher level roll up into the next higher

level, and so on to the top level.

For example, organizational sturctures, an address hierarchy comprised of region, country, state, and so on.

Parent/Child Hierarchy

Value hierarchies are hierarchies that are very similar to BOM (parent and child) and Employee Master (Employee and Manager). The hierarchy can be explored based on a selected parent, and there are cases where the child can be a parent. This hierarchy is derived based on the value.

A parent/child hierarchy is a hierarchy in a standard view that contains a parent attribute. A parent attribute describes a self-referencing relationship, or self-join, within the main table. Parent-child hierarchies are constructed from a single parent attribute.

For example: a bill of materials hierarchy (parent and child) or an employee master (employee and manager) hierarchy.

Kind regards,

Danielle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Danielle

Thanks for quick response but I am awarbe of this content ,but I could not understand the basic difference such as when it is said that level hierarchies are rigid what does it mean and in parent child hierarchy they gave Employee manager hierarchy but that is also an example of organizational hierarchy. So I could not understand the basic difference between them.It would be helpful if you can elaborate more.It would help me to understand when to use one among both of them.

Thanks

Santosh Varada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

Perhaps this will help explain a bit more:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-27466

Kind regards,

Danielle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Danielle